1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

freeview reception prob

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by stube, Nov 16, 2003.

1. stube

stube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone give me some advice? I've just bought a freeview box, Philips DTR1500, and set it up as per instructions. The problem is that only about half the channels are visible and those that we can get keep freezing and full of mess. Is it just that the aeriel needs re-aligning, is the box no good or is it a problem with my location, NW Norfolk? Please advise as I may need to return the box as its present performance is of no benefit. Thanks.

2. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Have a read at the sites below. You probably have a low signal and/or old aeriel?
    My bro in law has the same problem....loft aeriel and a VERY poor analogue signal. He thought a freeview wouldsolve all his probs!
    If your area checks out on the sites below, guess you need to get to a superstore. Do you get teletext on all your analogue channels? If there are probs there, its a sure sign of low signal.

hope this helps

johndm

www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freeview.html

www.mediabullet.co.uk/

3. stube

stube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. The link given re availability of channels by postcode does infact show that we might not get a lot of them, but we seem to get some of those they wouldn't expect, in good quality. Our analogue signal is pretty good, except for five (which is superb with the digibox!), and we do get text ok. I've got 2 weeks to decide to take it back if reception cannot be improved. Guess I'll ask other locals what they have done.

4. Pod Person

Pod Person

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A moderate digital signal means you will have to consider getting an aerial upgrade*. (Forget about analogue as this has nothing to do with digital).

*Or you can wait for an increase in transmitter power or course. :eek:

5. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try a masthead amplifier, or even just one of those plug in aerial boosters. It worked for me.

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    It might be the box itself. I had to return a Philips box because the ITV channels and Channel 4 kept freezing. I knew the aerial is ok as I have a Sony IDTV.

I also tried it on another aerial and had the same problem on the channels.

I know have a Panasonic TUCT30 and every channel is perfect.