Freeview reception downstairs, but not upstairs!

Pixies

Standard Member
Hello all, hope someone can spare some time helping me figure out how to solve the following issue!
I have recently acquired a Sharp LCD 20" televison set to use in the bedroom. It has a digital tuner and is HD Ready. When setting it up this afternoon, it only picked up the analog channels (although not Five!) and no Freeview channels at all!
However I have another television and DVD recorder in the downstairs living room with full access to all Freeview channels and services for both equipment (with perfect signal!). Does that mean that the bedroom wall socket is not linked to the digital aerial? Is there a way to get Freeview channels in my bedroom by way of using any booster, distribution amplifier or indoor aerial? I'd rather know if there is a solution prior to contacting a technician!
Many thanks in advance

njp

The first thing you should do is to try the new TV downstairs. Once you've established that it can pick up Freeview there, and there hasn't been any operator "finger trouble", we can talk about what might be wrong with your bedroom outlet.

Pixies

Standard Member
Dear njp, I just tried the new television in the main wall socket downstairs and it works perfectly - I can get reception of all Freeview channels. I am looking for any advice on how to get the same result in the upstairs room. I am not a technically savvy person, but I thought I would ask all knowledgeable people on this forum before calling up an aerial installer! Many thanks!:)

njp

Only two possibilities spring to mind:

1. The bedroom socket is fed from an aerial pointing to a different transmitter.
  2. The bedroom socket is fed from the same aerial as downstairs, but the signal is attenuated too much to allow Freeview reception.
The first option seems rather unlikely, but it's not impossible. Check your roof to see how many aerials there are. If you can, find out where the downlead(s) are going.

If the bedroom socket is fed from the same aerial as the downstairs socket, it must be split somewhere. Try to find out where, and how. A simple passive splitter would halve the signal to each socket. This is not ideal, but can't be the explanation for your problem, because in that case you would have reception difficulties downstairs too (unless the problem is caused by weird interactions between the sets when both are plugged in at once...). Perhaps there is some dodgy wiring, or a broken distribution amplifier somewhere.

Given that you have one decent signal, you shouldn't need the services of an aerial professional. At worst, all you would need to do is to feed the known good signal into a simple distribution amplifier, and run outputs to both sets using decent quality coax.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom