• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Freeview reception at PR4 3SD

TimmyP

Standard Member
We have just moved into a new bungalow. According to the deeds we cannot erect an aerial on the exterior of the property. In our old house (not a bungalow) we had the same situation and our aerial was in the loft, there were no problems with reception. This was 9 years ago.

I have connected our old aerial up to the cable in the loft. We are only interested in receiving Freeview channels. At the moment it appears the BBC channels reception are very good but ITV and Channel 4 are poor.

I have consulted the Wolfbane site and put in our postcode, PR4 3SD. I think our transmitter is Winter Hill (E). However, I do not really understand the other information. Do I need a group C D aerial and bearing in mind that it is in the loft do I need a high gain aerial as well? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Thanks.

fernandez

Distinguished Member
All recommendations for your postcode state 'Amplified extra hi-gain' and this is based on an aerial mounted outdoors at a height of 10M clear of obstructions.
Whilst you may have been lucky enough to get an adequate signal in a house loft, the height of a bungalow will make a big difference.
An adequate aerial outdoors is well advised

TimmyP

Standard Member
Unfortunately, the aerial has to go in the loft. What I forgot to mention was that when I plug the TV directly into the aerial socket the signal strength is either 'high' or 'very high'. Only Channel 5 is 'Good'.

It appears that when I run the signal through my Sony hard disc DVD recorder and then to the TV the signal seems to degrade. So much so that ITV is either 'low' or non existent. Can such a connection degrade a signal so much or is it because the source signal is too low from the aerial in the first place?

Any advice gratefully received.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Unfortunately, the aerial has to go in the loft. What I forgot to mention was that when I plug the TV directly into the aerial socket the signal strength is either 'high' or 'very high'. Only Channel 5 is 'Good'.

It appears that when I run the signal through my Sony hard disc DVD recorder and then to the TV the signal seems to degrade. So much so that ITV is either 'low' or non existent. Can such a connection degrade a signal so much or is it because the source signal is too low from the aerial in the first place?

Any advice gratefully received.

It sounds as if you are using a faulty patch lead from the DVDR to the TV. The thin white one's in particular are complete rubbish. Try replacing with a decent lead.

Grumpsimus

We have just moved into a new bungalow. According to the deeds we cannot erect an aerial on the exterior of the property. In our old house (not a bungalow) we had the same situation and our aerial was in the loft, there were no problems with reception. This was 9 years ago.

The prohibition on erecting an aerial is known in law as a resistrictive covenant. These are fairly common, but in many cases they are obsolete or not enforced or even enforceable.

The first point to consider is how old is the covenant. Then who has the benefit of the covenant, normally someone with nearby land. Then has the covenant already been broken i.e. do nearby properties have aerials on them. If they do have aerials it might be worth putting an aerial up to see if anyone objects. The worse that can happen is that you have to take the aerial down again.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom