1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview receivers misbehaving since channel reshuffle

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Hodman, Oct 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been trying to watch E4 but every time I tune onto the channel, my Pioneer GB100 stb automatically goes on standby.

It's now 8:30pm and I've been trying since 8:00pm!

All the other channels are fine.
    whats going on??? :confused:

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    Hey.. I just tried E4 on mine. Guess what?

I get a picture for a second, then it floods the screen green, and then it goes into standby!

Weird and worrying!

3. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just tried again and it now seems fine.
    But now it momentarely displays a message about some channel numbers having changed and there may be a need to re-tune.

Strange and very worrying if broadcasters can suddenly induce such strange behaviours in our setboxes whenever they fiddle with someting.

4. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ignore my last message ..... I moved tuned to another channel and then returned to E4 ..... back to standby again!!

Weird!

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    Ditto.

Just re-scanned it aswell, but its still goosed!
    I'm glad you pointed this out, as mine is on a timer to record Lost on E4 tomorrow night.

6. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've heard of people using the Topfield freeview PVR having had similar problems with the BBC channels forcing their machine to reboot ... but E4 on a standard machine?
    What is E4 up to?

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    I've seen something similar this morning on my Humax 8000. I rescanned yesterday. For the first time ever, it had hung overnight and need a power down to recover. Then, I found that certain channel changes forced it to reload its software and restart. When I left it a while ago I was able to channel "up" through the whole list without this happening. I'll have another play later.

8. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    A certain other forum has many reports of different STBs and PVRs experiencing problems since the changes.

As this is a generic issue not confined to Pioneer (nor to E4 it seems) I've taken the liberty of re-titling the thread.

10. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I rescanned my Sagem and Grundig STB's last night and the new channels accepted okay. The Topfield hasn't accepted the new channels and neither it seems has my Panasonic DMR-ES20D - I thought it had but everytime I switch on it states new DVB channels found but refuses to load them (could be the aerial on this one). I checked the Digifusion 150 but it hasn't auto rescanned or loaded so will try again later)

http://www.freeview.co.uk/channelchanges/index.htm

11. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Have just tried a scan for channels on one of the PACE DTVA boxes (omelette shaped). Its only found 55 channels - conspicuously "FIVE" is missing and all the others on that Mux and I know this definitely happens when
    bad weather occurs between my home and the Winter Hill Transmitters. So that's also another one to try again.

Puzzlingly on the scan last evening the Sagem STB found 84 channels and the Grundig STB only 82 both using same aerial!

12. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,220
    Big eerie voice over....

“There is nothing wrong with your TV set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We can reduce the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to...The Outer Limits.”

13. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    My mothers DTVA did this before the reshuffle, unless it happened a day early. I realigned her aerial on Sunday since she had lost CH5 plus a few other channels a week or so back. I got more than 80 channels after a rescan on Sunday but by Monday, CH5 had gone and a rescan would only give 55 plus some other minor channels were total garbage with large error counts. From digitalspy, there appears to be intermittent problems with MUX-A on a number of transmitters. Also I noticed that the 79-81% signal strength on Sunday was only 60ish% on Monday. So I think that this more coincidence rather than relating to the reshuffle.

Curiously, my Pace Twin handled the move without any user intervention at all. All timer events and favorite channel lists remained intact. With the new domestos software release due imminently, maybe things are finally looking up for this great little box with a tainted history.

14. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    ianh64.

I have three of these Pace DTVA boxes but only have two in intermittent use. Tried rescanning the other one and this is also only picking up 55 channels. Weather conditions here are still bad altho I am still picking up Mux A channels, Five etcetera on the Grundig and Sagem STB's. Cannot fathom it out!

15. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The issue with the Topfield is related to MHEG, the format used for interactive services, the BBC's interactive content was causing it to run out of memory and crash when tuned to any BBC channel. Haven't got home yet to try the Toppy with E4, but it was working last night with E4's 'channels are changing' interactive banner

16. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Yes the Topfield issue with BBC channels was resolved a few days ago. They are working fine on my 5800t. Should say were working fine - its switched off at the mo.

17. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: