Freeview Receiver help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by billandhelen, May 21, 2005.

1. billandhelen

billandhelen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Echostar Freeview box connected to my Tosh RDXS34 with scart to AV2.

I have tried all the Brand codes + the extra ones specifically for Echostar in the installation guide, but none seem to work.

Each time I try a new code, a message tells me a 'channel 12 test signal' is being sent, but nothing seems to happen.
    The manual doesn't explain what should happen, but I am assuming that the Freeview Channel 12 should appear on screen.

On another thread, someone discovered their Freeview box was incompatible and this explained a poor digital picture compared to terrestrial TV. I also have a poor signal. Before I had the Tosh, we would always watch through the Freeview box because of the sharper image, but now we avoid it if we can.

Am I doing something wrong?
    If not, should I be changing Freeview boxes?
    If so, any model recommendations?

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not entirely sure why you are using 'Brand codes'
    To get Freeview to the 34 you have to select AV2 as the input then you use the Freeview box as normal.
    If the F'view box only has one scart, you will get the signal out of AV1 as 'pass through' for your TV (assuming AV2 is the 34 'VCR in' and AV1 is the 'TV out').
    There should be no difference at all in the signal to your TV.
    But make sure the F;view box, the 34 and the TV are set to the correct signal types for each link.
    If possible use RGB.
    If the F'view box only has one scart you must use the same signal type right through.
    e.g.
    F'view out = RGB
    34 in = RGB
    34 out = RGB
    then use an RGB in scart on the TV

3. billandhelen

billandhelen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am confused about Scart and RGB.
    Are they the same thing?

I have my AV in and out settings on 'video' at the moment.

I tried changing the settings to 'RGB' but then I lose the picture completely.

4. sprint blue

sprint blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought my mum an RDSX34 and tried to set it up today.

Failed miserably.................grrrrrrrr. I think that it was connected correctly but could only get the TV, a Philips LCD, to show the analogue channels, ie. 1,2, ITV and 4.

My mum has a Grundig freeview box and no matter what I did, I just could not obtain any digital channels.

Any suggestions as to how to rectify this frustrating situation would be much appreciated. :lease:

5. Dillz

Dillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    @ Sprint Blue

Is your mum's aerial capable of receiving digital signals ?

Edit: Ah sorry, I misread. You mean you can't get any digital channels from your freeview receiver to your Tosh :rolleyes:

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    'Scart' is the name of the connector - the 21 pin long plug/socket.
    This carries sound and vision and supports different standards for vision.
    The original design was French (Syndicat Francais des Constructeurs d'Appareils Radio et Television) and intended alwys to be bi-directional - so that one cable would carry signals in both directions as required.
    Unfortunately the use of additional signal types messed this up, and in some cases scart has to be used directionally.

Audio is always the same - left and right channels and the plug allocates four Pins (plus ground) for bidirectional audio.

Video is more complicated because there are three systems:

1. Composite: this used one connector plus ground so two pins will deal with bidirectional composite video. It is the lowest quality system. It is sometimes referred to as 'video'

2. s-video: This uses two connectors plus ground and separates the colour information (chrominance) from the brightness/contrast (luminance). This gives a 'purer' picture.

3. RGB - (Red-Green-Blue) this separates the three colours that make up the picture and sends each stream separately - three connectors plus ground. This is reckoned to be the best quality method.

But as there aren't enough pins to support all three simultaneously you have to decide which to use between components. Also, some component's scart sockets don't 'send' all three, and some won't 'accept' all three.

If you start adding up the pins, it can look as if there are plenty, but some are used for other things like telling a TV what shape the picture is (4:3 or 16:9) so a widescreen TV can adjust its picture size or for switching things on and off automatically.

So you have to set up your equipment so that the scart cable joins compatible sockets. It's no good sending an RGB signal from a DVD machine to a non-RGB socket on a TV. Ditto, sending s-video to an RGB socket that won't accept s-video.

Your TV and recorder manuals will tell you which sockets send/accept what signals. Generally, composite is always present with RGB but overlaps a pin with s-video and wrong settings can cause loss of colour or loss of picture.

It is usual to choose the signal a component sends, and for recorders the type you want to receive. However most TVs switch automatically to the best signal available, providing the socket accepts it. So if you send an RGB signal to an RGB/composite TV socket, the TV uses RGB.

Attached Files:

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The wiring is this:
    STB TV-out > TV scart 'a'
    STB VCR-out > Tosh Sat/decoder Input/Output (usually AV2)
    Tosh Audio/Video Input/Output (usually AV1) > TV scart 'b'

Select AV2 as the input on the Tosh (using Input select). Then it gets whatever the Freeview box (STB) is set to. You don't use the Tosh tuner - that's analogue only.

8. billandhelen

billandhelen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

9. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I downloaded the manual of the Tosh '32 (which I suspect works the same way) and I think the Brand codes are there:

a) So you can use the Tosh remote to control another box. Then if you set the Brand Code to your TV model, the TV buttons on the Tosh remote should work the TV.

b) If you use the Tosh IR transmitter unit to control the STB then the Brand code is relevant there too. The Tosh doen't change the STB channel through the scart lead. Also you have to leave the STB turned on all the time as the Tosh IR unit will change STB channels but not turn it on and off. Unfortunately, I think the Echostar Brand code is for satellite receivers, not Freeview - see point 4.

It seems the the Satmon button is to activate the 'pass through' function from AV2 to AV1 when you are recording analogue. In case you are not familiar with pass through:

Instead of the wiring I described in the post above your last one:
    STB TV-out > TV scart 'a'
    STB VCR-out > Tosh Sat/decoder Input/Output (usually AV2)

You do it like this:
    STB TV-out > Tosh Sat/decoder Input/Output (usually AV2)
    (so you do away with one of the scarts)

Now you get the STB signal via the Tosh all the time.
    This has four effects:

1. You can record an RGB siganl from your STB, which only supplies composite from the VCR-out.

2. When the Tosh is recording analogue, it delivers from AV1 what it is recording. So if you want to go on watching the STB programme, I would guess you use Satmon to send the STB signal straight to AV1.
    Obviously if you are recording from the STB and you want to watch analogue you use the TV tuner as usual.

3. Note: this is a description of the Pioneer operation, but I suspect the Tosh is the same.
    When the Tosh is in standby the STB signal goes straight though from AV2 to AV1 unchanged.
    But as soon as the Tosh powers up the AV2 signal is intercepted by the Tosh THEN comes out of AV1 after 'processing' - because you may be recording it.
    When this happens the processed signal can be a different type from what goes in if you don't set them to be the same.
    So if you are sending a different signal type out of the Tosh from what comes out of the STB, your TV may not accept the changeover - e.g. RGB from the STB but composite from the Tosh.

Ideally you to set all the links to the same system. RGB is best. Then you would choose RGB as the output from the STB, the input to the Tosh, the output from the Tosh and make sure you plug into an RGB-compatible scart on the TV.

4. Finally, if you use this setup, there is a quirk with timer recording because the STB almost certainly does not turn on its TV-out socket when it enters timer mode from standby. So you have to leave it turned on all the time when you are using the timer on the STB, and you have to set both the STB and the Tosh timers. Make sure when you do this that you specify AV2 for the Tosh input channel.

As you can't get RGB from the STB 'VCR-out', pass-through is the only way you can get RGB right through the system, also you can't get s-video at all from the STB so that isn't an option.

This isn't nearly as bad as it sounds - all you have to remember is not to turn the STB to standby when timer events are set.

10. billandhelen

billandhelen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eddyad - Many thanks for the advice.

My Freeview reception is much improved since I switched the Scart from the TV output of the Freeview into the Tosh, intead of from the VCR output.

I have also changed the Tosh settings to RGB on both AV1 and AV2 and this has improved the picture.