waigyaye

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm using this Teknikal DVB-T2 receiver :
81jMtYFJTmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And this August DTA240 aerial :
51+KuVTzSaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It's a portable setup.
I regularly get a very high strength signal but always zero quality.
I've tried getting a signal in a few places near my home in Fife and two different places in England.

I've only tried an auto search.
Before doing a search for channels what settings should I choose eg. channel number, bandwidth, frequency etc.?

Is it possible to manually input a TV channel then move the aerial around and see if I get any kind of image?
If so what settings do I put in?

First of all that is not a Freeview receiver. It is a generic DVB-T2 receiver and will probably have problems with shared channels and MHEG. Of the settings you mentioned bandwidth is important and should be set to 8MHz.

That "aerial"you show is probably useless as well. It is vertically polarised and most transmissions are horizontal. There is NO such thing as a 'digital' aerial either. The TV service in the UK is designed for outside aerials 10m off the ground (i.e. on the roof) and that is what you should be using.

Aerial gain of 3 dBi is close to nothing ref a dipole (0 dBd) so basically omnidirectional: exactly what would be expected from a vertical dipole design.

Fife: close to the Craigkelly (Burntisland) transmitter could potentially be overloading the tuner and giving that result?
Location(s) in England might be the same issue (though less likely)?

Detailed transmitter information for industry professionals will give you the manual tuning details for your location.

By default the receiver is set to channel 21 frequency 474000KHz and 8M bandwidth.
I've been to the detailed transmitter info link you suggested before, but still can't work out what settings to put in manually for Craigkelly.
Also this site :
It's all double Dutch to me that's why I'm asking here.

I mentioned it's a portable setup.
I know this aerial is cheap, but I've seen comments on amazon of truck drivers and caravan owners getting good signals with it.
I might try later moving to a high position or getting nearer to the transmitter to see if I get even a tiny amount of quality.

CKY is ch21 for the BBC B (HD mux, T2 modulation) --- check if DVB-T and DVB-T2 are an option it should be -T2 for that.

It does have +ve frequency offset making it 474167 MkHz - but the automatic frequency control of the tuner should do that without any issues.

The only portable aerials worth using look like proper aerials Indoor / Set top aerials - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials

Caravanners mostly use directional aerials and amplifiers - even then they hit places nothing works.

You need 100% quality and then the signal level matters less.

What TV is being used? Most have had DVB-T for years built in if not DVB-T2...

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom