Freeview reccomendations and signal help please

hilleh

Standard Member
Hey hey chaps and chapettes.

Cut a long story short, it's the girlfriends birthday soon. She has a pretty crappy TV, in which the signal is truely awful (interference on BBC1 !!) rest of the house is OK, freeview box downstairs works fine.

I'm after suggestions on how to improve the signal, ideally I want a freeview box for a few extra channels as well (she takes hours to get ready and i'd much rather watch tv without the appearance of snow :smashin:)

What would be the best way to a). improve signal b). best freeview box (don't need to record, so HDD not needed) for this situation.

She currently has a pretty standard 17" CRT based TV, I could possibly buy her a new TV, but would rather keep the cost down for other little presents, rather than just one huge lump.

I'm a bit of a beginner in terms of AV, and AVforums, but already finding the place helpful, so please be gentle :D !

Thanks for any help.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
It really sounds like her aerial connection is no good, or missing, bad connection, basically any number of things. If the rest of the house has good connectivity and they must have to get Freeview I would check all the wiring out including re-making off the co-ax connectors on her aerial lead. If you fail to do this then no amount of Freeview boxes will help.

hilleh

Standard Member
It really sounds like her aerial connection is no good, or missing, bad connection, basically any number of things. If the rest of the house has good connectivity and they must have to get Freeview I would check all the wiring out including re-making off the co-ax connectors on her aerial lead. If you fail to do this then no amount of Freeview boxes will help.
Thank you Andy. I can get another lead, that's not a problem. Would a signal booster be of help ? Is that something which we could try ?

I'll try and pick up a new cable, and check that the connections are fine, then post back.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Boy Named Sue

Novice Member
Thank you Andy. I can get another lead, that's not a problem. Would a signal booster be of help ? Is that something which we could try ?

I'll try and pick up a new cable, and check that the connections are fine, then post back.
Signal booster will just boost the noise as well as the signal, unless it's a masthead amp. A new cable is a good idea, make sure it's good quality and not some £1 tat.

Best thing to do is get a new better aerial for the house, and/or attach a masthead amp to it. If you can't get access to the main external aerial (e.g. if she rents) then a powered internal aerial is sometimes a workable alternative. Despite what others here might say, I have one (about £30 from Maplin) and it works for me. But, your mileage may vary so get one from a shop that has a decent returns policy.

hilleh

Standard Member
Signal booster will just boost the noise as well as the signal, unless it's a masthead amp. A new cable is a good idea, make sure it's good quality and not some £1 tat.

Best thing to do is get a new better aerial for the house, and/or attach a masthead amp to it. If you can't get access to the main external aerial (e.g. if she rents) then a powered internal aerial is sometimes a workable alternative. Despite what others here might say, I have one (about £30 from Maplin) and it works for me. But, your mileage may vary so get one from a shop that has a decent returns policy.

Thank you, I'll dissapear at lunch and have a look around for a decent quality cable and aerial. Unfortuantly, I don't have access to the aerial on the house, or main cables running into the building (she lives with her parents, and if I break it, I might as well not live :smashin: )

Top Bottom