Freeview radio without a TV?

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Pofadda, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Pofadda

Pofadda
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I see no ads for radios receiving freeview signals. Is this so? If so, why, given the DAB slanging and bit-rate battles?

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I am sure they would be difficult to sell to the public. You would be expecting them to buy a radio which needs connecting to a tv aerial !. You might find a Freeview box that has a on-box display to indicate the channel it is tuned to. Then you could connect it to your amp and away you go. It is true to say that very often Freeview radio has higher bit rates than DAB. What is more important it is more consistantly stereo whereas some DAB stations broadcast in mono only. For example The Jazz, BBC7 and some lesser pop stations. A better version of DAB is forecast in the very near future. As is stands it is essentially MP2.

3. Pofadda

Pofadda
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm... My TV is connected to a TV aerial and the FM has been known to be connected to a kosher FM aerial. I suppose the hidden assumption (here and elsewhere) about radio is that it is inherently a portable device. I can't see that it would be a wild public hit anyway and a better quality/stereo alternative would probably undermine the heavily-invested-in DAB radio market...

Oh well.