FREEVIEW radio station logos

SOUNDSTYLE

Prominent Member
Reaction score
It's great that the new service has the radio stations available and last night I was listening to Jazz FM: What a great station, but the problem is the logos which are on screen at all times.

Surely they will burn onto your tv screen after a while?

When the stations were first tested I thought: 'Great, no logos, just a blank tv screen.'

But not now.

Hi Soundstyle,

I have the Pioneer ex On/ITV digial box, if I press the guide button on the remote the screen graphics are removed and a black screen is shown.

I don't know if this will work on the other type of boxes.

regards
cow

Originally posted by Tejpal
Is That possible ??
It's not as bad if you have a CRT tv (which I have) but it will happen if you leave the logo on long enough. (I don't know how long it takes though).
If you have a plasma it can happen very quickly so I've heard.

Originally posted by cow
Hi Soundstyle,

I have the Pioneer ex On/ITV digial box, if I press the guide button on the remote the screen graphics are removed and a black screen is shown.

regards
cow
I guess I have the same box (silver?) so I'll give it a go.

Thanks for that.:)

You need to have a conventional TV on with very high contrast settings for hundreds of hours to get burn in.

Listening for an hour or so a day won't make any difference.

As for plasmas - anyone who is running a £5,000 plasma screen with the fans all going etc etc to listen to the radio is mad!

If you are worried, just turn the brightness to zero, or better still attach a hifi to your box.

Originally posted by cow
Hi Soundstyle,

regards
cow
I gave it a go and the screen does turn to black but I get a purple box in the bottom right hand corner which won't go away unless I press 'exit' and then I get the Jazz FM logo back again:(

Yeah i'm a bit concerned about this too. i have an RPTV and and after mortgaging my soul to satan to get it, i DON'T want a bloody great kerrang logo burned in the middle of it.

I've decided to wait until the launch proper (30/10) to see if they animate it or bounce it round the screen or something (surely can't be that difficult). If they don't then i'll be emailig them about it.

As well as that bloody great "The Hits" graphic.

So, let me get this straight. In order to listen to what is, in effect, and audio-only station, you need your TV switched on.

I can see why this is for those that have IDTVs, but for those who have separate STBs, I's suggest that the audio out should be routed into an amplifier. Then, the TV is never actually used. For those who have IDTVs - I'd consider getting a STB as well, if audio listening is a priority. It will save the TV and electricity.

Phosphor burn will happen eventually. When 'eventually' is depends on how long, how bright etc. If a separate STB isn't an option - and the TV hasn't got any means of muting the picture, - turn the brightness & contrast way down whilst listening.

those all work but in the short run wouldn't it be a lot easier for BBC (or DTV or whatever the company is) to animate the logos, rather than make evryone who is a little bit concerned have to turn down brightness/contrast to listen to the radio stations and then back up when they switch to TV?

if channel4 broadcast their station at half the brightness of other stations you'd soon get tired of in/decreasing your tv controls everytime you wanted to watch a bit of Frasier...you'd get in touch with them and tell them to sort their life out.

at the end of the day if they were to animate the logos it wouldn't detract from anyone elses enjoyment but it would improve a few other peoples.

just my two pence worth :D

as for routing my STB via an amplifier, i realise this is probably heresy on this forum, but i ain't got one :) (an amp that is) which i think probably puts me in the same category as 99% of other people who will signup to freeview.

Use your TV remote control to turn on analogue teletext.
You'll get a black screen with maybe a small 'P100' on the screen somewhere.

Any good for you? As a temporary measure...

Hi Soundstyle,

I tried pressing the guide button again on all the radio station channels including Jazz fm. I don't get any purple box in the corner just a black screen.

I was never sure what the guide button was supposed to do. I guess your purple box in the corner may be due to a software difference between our Pioneer boxes, or something from the transmitter.

One other remote possibility is perhaps some on screen graphic from your TV indicating no channel or no picture, just a thought.

regards
cow

Originally posted by kevenh
Use your TV remote control to turn on analogue teletext.
You'll get a black screen with maybe a small 'P100' on the screen somewhere.

Any good for you? As a temporary measure...
I'll give that a go.
Thanks

Originally posted by cow
Hi Soundstyle,

I tried pressing the guide button again on all the radio station channels including Jazz fm. I don't get any purple box in the corner just a black screen.

I was never sure what the guide button was supposed to do. I guess your purple box in the corner may be due to a software difference between our Pioneer boxes, or something from the transmitter.
regards
cow
It must be software differences which is a shame.

Originally posted by MickyBoy
those all work but in the short run wouldn't it be a lot easier as for routing my STB via an amplifier, i realise this is probably heresy on this forum, but i ain't got one :) (an amp that is) which i think probably puts me in the same category as 99% of other people who will signup to freeview.
Really? No amp, not at all, not even a stereo one that you use to listen to CD's? Any stereo amp (provided it has a tape, cd or aux external input) will do.

if anyone has a nokia box or any other (they could try) just press the Exit button on the remote...and the logos gone!!!

;)

I use the teletext button on my tv remote. Works very well, even though you get a small number '100' in the top left hand corner.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom