Freeview question

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by spinout, Dec 7, 2004.

1. spinout

spinout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Asked this question on another forum but no response so far.

Bought a new Panasonic tx32pd50 and set it up on Saturday and so far I've been very impressed. In particular DVDs look great and the sound is good enough to make be think twice about buying a home cinema amp.

Only real problem so far is some slight ghosting on BBC1 and 2 channels (which is also present on my old TV) and poor quality Channel 5. The only way to describe Ch. 5 is like the picture has a 'mesh' of small diamonds across it. Not always visible but present most of the time.

Channel 5 onthe old TV is not perfect either so I'm guessing that the diamonds are a result of the PD50's processing of lower quality signal?

Big questions is - if I buy a FV box will that clean things up OR, because the Ch 5 signal is poor, will I get low quality out of FV.

TIA,
    Carl

2. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We had terrible reception problems on analogue. Freeview digital appears to have corrected most of them. :thumbsup:

3. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Theres every chance you'll need a new higain roof aerial. About £150 fitted.

4. cyber

cyber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Freeview will clear this up. If you haven't got an outside aerial a good in door one and a booster worked for me despite being told it wouldn't although it did break up if someone was to the side of the aerial and took a bit of trial and error to get the position correct.

5. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And there's every chance you won't. I've used Freeview in four different properties in four different parts of the country so far (all with their original aerials) and everyone has provided full access and stable pictures.

6. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It depends where you live, you may not need a high gain aerial but you may need a wideband one. The best thing to do is try it, it'll probably work but if it doesn't get the advise of a local aerial fitter.