Freeview quality versus Analogue Transmission on a PX600

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by DIY_Subs, Aug 25, 2006.

1. DIY_Subs

DIY_Subs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I am about to buy a Panasonic PX600. I have had a play with a model in the local Currys shop - changing the freeview channels from the button on the plasma via the dropdown flap on the front. I assume this means the displayed picture is via its own freeview tuner. I also thought as it was digital the fact the set was prob using an amplified daisy chained aerial feed didnt impact on the quality - as the set either had a good enough signal or it didn't work.

I have to say I was unimpressed with the images - even standing 10 ft back and trying several channels. Pixelation / blocking was too apparent for my wifes liking. To only have a really good picture from a dvd isn't going to get permission to buy... I do accept the larger you blow a picture up the more visible the artefacts - but what was seen was not acceptable without at least asking others for their thoughts.

I am aware of bit rates on channels being dynamic at times, and some channels have better encoding and bitrates than others- but I did expect a pretty good picture on BBC1 - Channel 5 etc.

Can anyone tell me if I could expect a BETTER quality image using my Topfield PVR 5800 rather than using the Panasonic digital tuner?

Would I still be better off connecting my VCR to the plasma and using that as as a analogue tuner via RGB wired scart???? (I accept this may only last a few years and be good for 5 channels). I understand the analogue feed is full bandwidth - and whilst it is old technology as I live only 15 miles from the transmitter I do get a really good signal and brilliant picture on my 29" CRT Panasonic.

Are there any other solutions which don't involve Sky or NTL cable.??

Many thanks.

2. DIY_Subs

DIY_Subs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bump - does no-one have any comments over the quality of this model for watching general free tv???

3. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    All i can advise is get a real demo, and that doent mean currys. I mean a blacked out room with good sources and cables and a calibrated screen.

4. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,292
    The only place where I have seen a decent picture on a PX600 is at a [email protected] showroom - anywhere else and pixelation and over-saturated colours are the standard fare.

Subsequently, I purchased a 37PX600 from said showroom. I switch it on and forget about it, just like my previous Sony CRT - whether it be analogue or digital (Freeview or Sky). There's no pixelation - even with supposedly low-bitrate channels. Shops usually set their panels to 'dynamic' (which accounts for the colour over-saturation) while most users are content in selecting 'cinema' mode at home.

If I were spending my money again I'd buy the same television - from the same store. Even my wife is more than pleasently surprised by the excellent picture quality - given how poor most in-store demonstrations are.

5. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DI subs. The quality between your Toppy or the TV will be marginal at most. The TV has several tweeks that help Freeview viewing.

The Sharpness setting does horrible things to slightly blocky pictures. Its effectively edge enhancement, so you can imagine what that will do to a grid like texture.

I would suggest getting hold of the remote, and setting the screen to Normal or Cinema mode with sharpness all the way off.
    Turn off ALL noise reduction or color enhancement features.
    ( you can be sure the set in the showroom will be in Dynamic mode with all above fetures set to high/on )

Then stand 10ft back and see what you think.

6. DIY_Subs

DIY_Subs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the helpful comments. Much appreciated.

Yes I do agree that I should go to a "proper dealer"... but the only way I am going to get one of these screens is via a PM at John Lewis where I have a current PM held for me until they get stock, on a no commitment basis.

I hadn't considered all the settings would probably be set up wrongly. Wrong colour calibation wasn't even a factor in me thinking that looks rubbish - it was way to pixellated. At least the local Currys have put all the screens in a very low lighting part of the store - which I immediately noticed -so to give them a fraction of credit they are learning!

bongpig - I will take heed of your suggestion and change the set acordingly if the sales assistants let me. I am a novice with these things - but is it possible to change the settings to a custom one - so I can alternate between best (mine or bongpigs) and the original one from when I walked into the showroom - so I can show the Mrs that they are pretty good after all for watching soaps!! Is it fairly easy to change the setup as you described?

Cheers

7. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the changes I suggested are in the standard picture menu.
    Look for a menu button on the remote and take it from there.

Put the TV into Cinema mode first. This way any changes you might make to Sharpness will only affect Cinema mode. This way you can switch between Cinema & Dynamic and compare its horribleness.

Hope that made sense. Its all very clear once you get stuck in.

8. DIY_Subs

DIY_Subs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks alot bongpig - I'll let you know if I have changed my mind over this aspect of the screen - I really hope so!! :)