Freeview PVR's with twin tuners & hard drives

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by ROYOLD, Aug 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Have been using the Digifusion FVRT 150 for several months now and find this machine has completely replaced the two VCR's I previously used to record TV programmes. Its easy to use & gives excellent service. I cannot do a better description of this than that given in this link, which has other links to screen-shots, detailed photos and an excellent description of the operation.
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/server2/digifusion/

The FVRT 150 was purchased from Argos (£180) but is now not listed in the new Argos catalogue. It would appear to have been replaced by the FVRT 200 model
    which still has the 80GB hard drive. This is available from Unbeatable.co.uk for £180 but is currently awaiting stock, similarly for the Panasonic TUCTH100 priced £220, awaiting stock. and the Inverto IDL7000T £220, awaiting stock.
    The original posting gave a link to "unbeatable" which has now been deleted as a report on this forum http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236461
    states that Unbeatable have gone into administration.

On the strength of convenience and adaptability of the FVRT 150 I have ordered another Freeview PVR - the Topfield TF5800T with 160GB HDD. This was ordered from Unbeatable yesterday afternoon and tracking indicates it is on the van for delivery this morning. At £280 it is more expensive than some DVD recorders but it has a very impressive spec.

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
  3. MR.COATES

MR.COATES
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm picking up the Fusion FVRT200 today (was going to get the topfield but have now seen a few places saying that the Picture and Sound aren't particularly impressive).

This months' What Hi-Fi is the latest to give it a bit of a bashing.

So for £179 I'm saving around £100 too and I can happily live without TopUp TV compatibility and a smaller disc.

At the moment I've got the Pace Twin which I've actually liked quite a lot (upgraded to 60gb drive too) but the lack of being able to record two things at the same time has started to become an issue for me.

The main reasons for going for the Fusion 200 are being able to rewind, 14 day EPG, being able to categorise recordings, edit recordings and dual simultaneous recording.

4. madasahat

madasahat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what probs with pictur? i use my toppy on a 42" plasma and the pq is as good as the broadcast?? its a smashing box

5. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    'What Video and Widescreen TV' have just given the Topfield best buy I believe. I have two of them so am probably biased. ;) One is on a 36" CRT and the other runs my 30" LCD monitor. Both give excellent sound and PQ in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Richard

PS Some reviewers are very good but some do not even confirm what standard they are using e.g. composite or RGB or whatever.

6. MR.COATES

MR.COATES
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't shoot the messenger!

:)

I like to see things for myself either way but the big draw thing for me was unit size and price difference.

My planned Samsung LCD HDTV has got a CI slot so if I want TopUp TV at a later date it's always an option (but not likely now).

So really it's just down to the smaller hard drive which is a shame but 80gb will be plenty for me.

7. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Just some info for people who have been put off the Topfield because they have only been available online. They are now being distributed through shops that belong to the Euronics buying consortium. There are lots of shops around the country that belong to this 'group' although it is not always obvious as they are independant shops with their own names. e.g. My local one is called Newbury Radio (and very good they are).

Means you might be able to look before buying; doubt if many of them actually have them in stock yet, but might be worth checking if anyone is in the market.

Richard

8. Rezillo

Rezillo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What's the Topfield's interface like for mp3 playback? The idea of having all my mp3s on tap as well as Freeview and a pvr is quite tempting.

John

9. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Some info on the FAQ's from toppy.org.uk.
    http://www.toppy.org.uk/faq.php?category=2
    The Topfield arrived here in Gtr Manchester at 1100
    by City Link after placing order with Unbeatable at 3.25 pm day previous. It's still in the box as yet.
    I haven't much interest in MP3 so maybe someone else will advise you on this. I was pleased to see in FAQ's that the HDD can easily be swapped for a 200GB or 300GB. Now that is something that can't easily be done on the DVD recorders.

10. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi John

Not made use of this myself but not heard of any problems.

Richard

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Likewise - I have never used this facility but if it works like all the other menus then you can create custom folders, sub-folders and name each track providing you use one of the PC connections (USB or Serial).

12. Rezillo

Rezillo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the replies re mp3 - it all looks very promising.

John