Quantcast

Freeview PVR with iplayer etc

msailg

Standard Member
Please can you help?
I would like to purchase a suitable PVR for viewing the normal freeview channels and the HD channels plus the ability to view catch up TV such as iplayer. I did purchase a Technika 8320HD from ebay which offered all the facilities a required but it had a fault so I returned it.

Is there an alternative to the 8320HD? or something better for use in the UK.

I do not have cable or a satellite dish, nor do I want one.

Thanks in advance Tom

Gavtech

Administrator
There is also the Panasonic DMR-HW100... although we are still waiting for feedback about this machine.

Thread here.

... and welcome to the forum msailg

Gavtech

Administrator
Currently no iPlayer !!!

According to reviews . . .

JL Listing says "BBC iPlayer will also make catching up with missed programmes simple."

May be added ??
Hmm. I'll have to check on that.

The information I have is that these machines come pre-loaded with Viera connect.. which does have i-player access, amongst other things.

Gavtech

Administrator
Currently no iPlayer !!!

According to reviews . . .

JL Listing says "BBC iPlayer will also make catching up with missed programmes simple."

May be added ??
I cannot find confirmation at present ... but since the other Freeview machines in the range [ BDR's and DVDR's ] have had iplayer access for some months now I feel it is safe to assume that the HW100's do have it too.

The operating system is the same throughout.

I can only assume that the reviews that mention this lack were before the update roll-out.

petrev

I cannot find confirmation at present ... but since the other Freeview machines in the range [ BDR's and DVDR's ] have had iplayer access for some months now I feel it is safe to assume that the HW100's do have it too.

I can only assume that the reviews that mention this lack were before the update roll-out.
:smashin:

Great

Gavtech

Administrator

Important Correction.

Hold on the information above. I may be being premature on the above.

I now believe that the update was to upgrade the machines to the viera connect platform... but as yet, iplayer is coming , but not yet available on that platform on certain machines [ It is available on TV's ]

I have no current information regarding when it is coming.
I will post if and when that information comes my way.

bow79

Novice Member
Also Humax fox t2 the one mentioned earlier is a recorder with built in hard drive that can do 2 programes at a time. Humax also do a hi def reciever that you can plug a hard drive into via usb you can then recoord on to it. I have this, BBC i player works great on it. Its cheaper than other one but can only record one thing at a time (may be 2 if on same mux) Both are avaliable referbished direct from Humax at reduced price. Ther are a couple of other iplayer alternativs both not that readily avaliable. Sorry cant remember names ican was one I think but can't record. The other I is made by Turbosat I think. You can add a hard drive it is avaliable referbished from there webb site via ebay but unlike Humax I do not think It has serese link.
Came accross a thread on here (or sent to review) where an Iplayer enabled recorder could not receve iplayer in hi def (can't remember which) Humax can.

Top Bottom