Freeview PVR question - delayed programmes

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Ingsy, Sep 16, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Ingsy

Ingsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking to get a Freeview PVR, but I'm after getting one question answered first:

If I select a programme to record from 8pm -> 9pm, but the show before runs late by 15 minutes. What will the box record? 8-9, or does it know that the programme I want recorded has run late, and so compensate and record 8.15 -> 9.15?

Also, if the programme I am recording runs late and so instead of running 8 til 9, it runs 8 til 9.15 (for example) do the boxes know this, and carry on recording 'til the end of the programme, or will they stop recording at 9pm regardless?

If only some boxes do this and others don't, could somebody please recommend one that does? Many thanks for your time :)

2. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    This is called 'Accurate recording' and is a feature of Freeview Playback; if you buy a box that has the logo, then it should track this sort of delay.

There are a few boxes around that have the functionality - the TVonics and it's clone Wharfedale, for example, and the current version of the Humax 9200, which is a dual record unit. The Topfield will get the facility via a firmware update.

3. Ingsy

Ingsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm after one quite urgently as my DVD recorder has gone down the pan, and I want to record the F1 today. So I'm looking in the argos book and they all have the Freeview Playback logo, so it's looking good!

Thanks very much for your help, and quick reply :thumbsup:

4. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Just be aware that 'Accurate Recording' is flaky at the moment, from missing data in the transmissions and buggy implementations. If this is important you should do some research on each machine you consider, both the quality of its implementation and the likely timescale for updated firmware.

Humax 9200: the current implementation uses the wrong start time, meaning it will not handle early running programmes but will usually deal with late running (by recording more than it needs to). The implementation is inflexible to the point most people appear to have disabled it in favour of the older autopadding, Humax decided you can have one or the other, in reality we need both. The transmissions to suppport Accurate Recording vary from non-existent to sometimes/often accurate depending on channel. In practice you can expect to have a few seconds clipped of many programmes even on the best channels because of that lack of padding.

Next likely 9200 update due sometime in November (that's an informed guess based on past behaviour and their hints we'd have it in August). That said Humax have gone very, very quiet recently. Normally they have some chosen fans leak news, that's not been happening. One possibility is they've finally been forced to rewrite their firmware to fix longstanding issues, if true we won't be seeing new firmware this year.

5. Ingsy

Ingsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info Paul. I ended up getting a Wharfdale one from Arogs, as I needed it in a hurry. It's a shame as usually I like to do some research into what I buy first, but ho hum.

Anyway it seems to be working fine, very easy to use. Will have to wait for an over running programme to see what happens.

6. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Out of sheer curiosity, can Sky boxes automatically record delayed programs

7. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Yes it can. In practice its normally the Sky channels themselves that get good service from PDC/accurate recording capability on the platform, the rest of the channels say from the public service broadcasters seem to be on a reasonable endevours basis - the EPG is updated with for late running shows/other times not so. I think most people are more comfortable with the autopadding facility though, which takes care of most peoples requirements. Theres even less of a likely hood that other broadcasters putting their channels on the platform make use of the PDC style functionality, but its all there ready for use.

8. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Thanks for the information :smashin: