Freeview problem - can only view BBC channels

R

rockybalboa

Hello, just after a little advice, I have read the faq and tried searching the site but frankly I dont really understand - sorry we all have to start somewhere.

I recently purchased a Sony KDL32V4000 for the bedroom and was looking forward to being able to watch freeview. However, my TV simply will not tune anything other than BBC1,2,3, CBBC and BBC News in its digital setting. I have tried it on numerous occasions over the past few weeks. Initially my tv showed a nil to poor signal strength due to bad weather, but this has now increased to high signal strength. I am unsure why I can only tune into BBC channels and nothing else. Would anybody be able to offer me some advice as I am unsure whether I have a faulty tv, or if there are instead likely to be problems with the arial? And what I should do to correct this.

My parents use sky digital downstairs and this is the first time we have encountered any difficulties.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
I am glad you have put that last line in, My parents use SKY digital downstairs.
Are you connected to the RF1 or 2 output of the SKY box?
If you are, the output could be clashing with the freeview channels. Example lets say the SKY box transmits its sky picture on Ch34 and your TV channels for Freeview are on 32 - 36 then SKY is slap bang in the middle.
In the SKY box you can move its channel away from say 34 to anywhere between 21 and 69.
First off unplug the aerial into the SKY box and the cable attached to either RF1 or 2 and plug them together and then re-scan your TV, "Does this work".
When you rescan your TV make a note of where you start to pick up channels and lets assume it is 32-36 then move SKY to 21-23.
If memory serves you need to use the SKY remote press services then 4,0,1 in sequence to get the main menu for changes.

scribbler101

Hi Rocky

If you have read the FAQs, did you miss the bit about Wolfbane, to give us an idea what you are starting from, signal-wise?

I think perhaps the FAQs need improving to more clearly ask the questions "What aerial are you using?" and "have you tried it downstairs" and "is there Freeeview anywhere else in the house".

But if there is an existing rooftop aerial feeding you through the sky box; try Andy's suggestion first!

Steve

R

rockybalboa

Heya, thanks, sorry has taken me a while to reply. I have checked and my transmitter is the Emley Moore one and I am only able to view the Mux1 channels.

scribbler101

Great. What sort of aerial are you using?

NB AERIAL - not satellite dish.

jess

Standard Member
Hi

I am having the same problem. I do not have sky only one freeview TV which I have just moved from my old house to my new house. It has always worked well and with all channels, now that I have moved house I am only getting the BBC channels. I have retuned the TV several times and it has made no difference.

I am using a shared aerial as I live in a flat but it is less than 10 years old and is quite high up. I have not managed to meet any of my neighbours yet to see if they have the same problem but I can't see any sky dishes on the outside of the property (6 flats).

Any ideas of how I can solve this?

Thanks, Jess

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Rockybalboa:
Take your TV set to the lounge and plug the aerial feed into it direct. Do a 'new installation' scan for all DTT channels. What do you get? Do a scan for analogue channels: what do you get and are the pictures clear, ghosted, snowy? (It sounds like your TV aerial system is pretty well useless from your description so far.)

Jess:
We need to know more about where you live in the country. It may be worth seeing if you can find a 'factory reset' option in the TV menus before trying another retune. If its still the same, it does sound like the communal aerial isn't right in your dwelling. Ask neighbours if they use freeview ok and check if the landlord knows of problems with the aerial distribution system.

millie0

Standard Member
Hi - your advice would be appreciated:lease:

This is my first post - (I have NTL in the main room) but my daughter has given me her Avtex W192D which is being used with a communial aerial.

I get the BBC OK But the sKY seems to break up a lot and today says no signal. Also I cant get my remote control to go over 10 or 11. I am in HP3 area.

Would I need to get a small booster aerial if so does this go inside or outside - I dont want one on the roof as this is just for the kitchen and not the main tv.

thanks a lot:

Millie0

jess

Standard Member
I live in North London. I will try a factory reset if I can tonight and try to meet my neighbours!

Thanks

Jess

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
.... Avtex W192D which is being used with a communial aerial.
I get the BBC OK But the sKY seems to break up a lot and today says no signal. Also I cant get my remote control to go over 10 or 11. I am in HP3 area.
Millie0
You may be watching Crystal Palace or the Hemel Hempstead transmitter (aka Bedmond locally). Have you got more than one outlet from the communal aerial that you could try the TV on (in the lounge for example)?
Check all the cables and connections in use for poor connections.
Ask neighbours how their reception is. It may be a fault on the communal aerial system - but if a big block they sometimes only carry analogue signals and any freeview reception is an accident. (They will need upgrading before 2012 in your area though).

millie0

Standard Member
Hi Rodders,

Thank you for replying. When I got the tv I tried in in the sitting room where the communial cable comes through. it was fine - though not being very technically savvi I am not sure if I tried it on sky programmes - I have asked the engineer who put the connection cable to the kitchen in to come back and check it - and he can check it I have tuned it it properly ..possibly not.. not sure why I cant' programme more than channel 10 or 11 so I will check that as well.

Once again thanks

Millie0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom