Freeview Play

Daz13

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of purchasing a Freeview Play TV. I do not have an aerial but would have the TV connected to the internet via an ethernet cable. Will I still be able to watch live TV through Freeview Play even though I won't have a nice aerial.?

I'm thinking of purchasing a Freeview Play TV. I do not have an aerial but would have the TV connected to the internet via an ethernet cable. Will I still be able to watch live TV through Freeview Play even though I won't have a nice aerial.?

No you normally need a aerial to set up the TV in the first place. The internet doesn't deliver live TV only catch up content already broadcast. For live tv you need either a cable subscription, a terrestrial aerial or a satellite dish. A box with iplayer connected to the internet and connected to a TV HDMI port will give you near live TV with BBC channels.

No (sorry).

Not entirely so. Via iplayer and I believe all4 you can stream live tv. Apps like TVplayer can be used to watch live tv too, but bear in mind you'll only get SD picture quality overall (iplayer is hd-ish).

There are plenty of add-on boxes out there that can be used to access the apps. -- Amazon FireTV, Roku, NowTV, etc. Freeview Play is not your friend unless you have an aerial. Depending on your location, you might get away with an indoor aerial, but you really do need an outdoor aerial to take advantage of any Freeview Play tv/pvr.

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom