Freeview PLAY and TV Licensing

Turbocharged5

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

All of my TV consumption is on-demand, Amazon Prime, NowTV or Catch-up (with the exception of iPlayer since they changed the law) as I do not have and do not want a TV License.

I'm looking to buy a second TV, most likely an LG and I noticed that being a smart TV it comes with catch-up apps built in and something called Freeview PLAY.

From a bit of googling it seems that Freeview PLAY is basically Freeview's own catch-up service but requires you to have both internet connectivity and a connected ariel.

So can I legally use 'Freeview PLAY' for catch-up only without a TV License? (obviously not for BBC channels).

Cheers!

Even if you don't watch BBC via Live or on demand, I believe you still need a tv license... Can I ask why you don't want a licence?

No you don't. TV Licensing is required only for watching live TV or for watching BBC content on demand via iPlayer or any other means.

From TVLicensing.Co.UK:

"A TV Licence is a legal permission to install or use television receiving equipment to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and to download or watch BBC programmes on demand..."

I'd really prefer to avoid getting into a rant on peoples philosophy of TV licensing and if they agree or disagree. That's not really the subject here.

But to answer your question - Basically I believe that TV licensing is an out-of-date tax, I'd rather see my £150 (or what ever it is these days) go to the NHS or schools than a private corporation that squanders money and protects its own interests. But that is my own personal feelings and I don't expect others to agree with me.

That aside - I haven't watched live TV in 8 years and I don't miss it. I watch pretty much what I want when I want, mostly youtube content these days ;)

But to answer your question - Basically I believe that TV licensing is an out-of-date tax, I'd rather see my £150 (or what ever it is these days) go to the NHS or schools than a private corporation that squanders money and protects its own interests. But that is my own personal feelings and I don't expect others to agree with me.

But you're happy to pay a similar amount to Amazon who have been subject to multiple investigations with negative results about the working conditions of their employees and are still avoiding tax.

How does whatever percentage of the licence fee you feel the BBC is wasting compare with the deficit in the amount Amazon should be contributing to the UK economy?

I've nothing against your decision to not pay the licence fee, but I'd definitely look up the numbers and make sure the same reasons don't apply to what you are paying for.

As to your question, moneysavingexpert says you only need the licence if you watch it and just having the capability isn't enough:
TV licence: Do I need a TV licence? - MoneySavingExpert

So provided you set the TV to default to an AV input rather than the tuner you should be fine. Although it would be a useful addition to their page so it might be worth dropping them a line.

But you're happy to pay a similar amount to Amazon who have been subject to multiple investigations with negative results about the working conditions of their employees and are still avoiding tax.

How does whatever percentage of the licence fee you feel the BBC is wasting compare with the deficit in the amount Amazon should be contributing to the UK economy?

A fair point. But...

I don't specifically pay for either Amazon or NowTV. My wife got a free subscription to NowTV through her Vodaphone contract and the Amazon stuff was, like wise, a value added service to another package at the time.

However, if I was paying to use these services and wished to watch their live content why should I also pay a license fee to the BBC? Especially if my content is being delivered via cable or broadband?

That aside, Amazon is not based on UK soil, that does not justify their actions but they're not a British based company funded specifically by a forced tax through threat of fines or imprisonment.

Nor am I aware of Amazon trying to cover up the questionable actions of certain celebrity figures or laying people off with a huge pay-out and then immediately rehiring them (with tax payers money).

In terms of money, according to the BBC 2016/2017 annual report, they raised just under £4Bn in collected license fees.

Amazon should have probably payed in the region of £1.5Bn on the £7Bn Uk revenues (I'm guessing, I'm not an accountant).

Personally, I feel the BBC should be left to stand on their own two feet like all the other broadcasters.

I'd be more than happy to pay the £150 TAX if it was specifically ear marked for public services (NHS, Schools...).

As it stands, their Royal Charter was only renewed because the government was to distracted to be bothered to deal with it.

But again my opinions are my own and I do not expect other to agree.

GETTING BACK to Freeview Play, my concern is that it requires you to have an aerial connected and tuned presumably to receive the program guide. A TV License inspector could easily draw their own incorrect conclusions.

Last edited:
Into my 2nd year of not having a license . I never watch live tv . I signed a form on gov website and got a letter from lisence issuers , with a reference number if anyone calls demanding to see a lisence . Way too many programs that I have paid for in the first place , are being repeated and repeated . So why keep paying for something that you have already paid for and watched .... You buy a movie on disc .. you pay once , you do not pay every time you watch it .

If you use the now tv service, it streams live channels so you will need a tv license for that, even if you don't watch BBC channels. If you only use their on demand content then you wouldn't.
I haven't had a TV license for 8 years now and have never had a problem. I use Netflix, Amazon Prime and use the main catch up services (minus BBC iPlayer now, but that was only ever used for Top Gear before they ruined it by sacking Clarkson)

If you use the now tv service, it streams live channels so you will need a tv license for that, even if you don't watch BBC channels.

That is correct. I don't use the live component of NowTV so I'm a good boy :)

You don't need an ariel connected and tuned to use NowTV though - you do for the on-demand component of Freeview PLAY, based on my understanding, which is my concern.

As I mentioned in my point above. The TV License is out-of-date IMO... The TV license effectively allows the BBC to claim broadcast rights on all live video content (you are allowed to listen to radio free of charge ;) ). Why should the BBC receive funding if the live content being broadcast is not of their making or even using their transmission technology.

Call it what it is - a TAX and being a TAX those funds should go towards genuine public needs. I'm pretty sure the UK would survive if they lost the BBC. I doubt it would do so well if it lost the NHS or Schools.

If the BBC is using material sourced from an external supplier they invariably have to pay for it. Quite a lot of material is produced by independent companies. It's a fairly open market place where a series will often go to the highest bidder. One of the reasons the BBC shut down their Television Centre was because more programmes were be independently produced. It's nothing to do with 'broadcast rights'. The majority of sports material has to paid for. Personally I'm happy to pay a few pence a day for advertisement free broadcasting. Similarly I also pay for additional stuff from Amazon and Virgin Media.

Last edited:
BBC make millions from the programmes they make and sell worldwide . I believe U.K is the only Country in the world that has to pay to own a TV ... It is not a criminal offence not to own one ( if needed) It is just a civil offence .

BBC make millions from the programmes they make and sell worldwide.

According to the BBC's own 2016/2017 financial reports (publicly available) their commercial arm actually made £1.5Bn from exports and overseas operations.

They also receive in the region of another £0.5Bn from grants and other misc sources.

I hate the bbc, i don't watch it.

I still think the BBC and the so-called licence fee is good value for money. I'm well aware that it is successful as a commercial organisation selling programmes overseas. However there are two things I would want to see change.

Firstly the licence fee collection to be scrapped and the revenue to be collected by a small surcharge to attached to the community, charge or whatever it's called. That way everyone pays something towards the national broadcaster. This system works in many European countries.

Secondly I think Channel Four should receive a slice of the revenue cake as it functions, in part, as public service with news, current affairs, and cultural output similar to BBC2. Neither of these ideas is original. It just seems that politicians don't get round to looking at the subject.

What I don't go along with is people expecting something for nothing.

Last edited:
I still think the BBC and the so-called licence fee is good value for money. I'm well aware that it a successful
The only reason is that it is successful is because it robs every tv owner £150 every year, :mad:

How is it robbery if it is providing multiple channels of programmes, a 24 hour news service that is relied on worldwide, umpteen national and local radio services and on-line services? That doesn't come into my definition of 'robbery'.

How is it robbery if it is providing multiple channels of programmes, a 24 hour news service that is relied on worldwide, umpteen national and local radio services and on-line services? That doesn't come into my definition of 'robbery'.
Why should i pay for something i don't watch or want like i said it's robbery, the bbc should do away with the licence and start showing adverts !

That is correct. I don't use the live component of NowTV so I'm a good boy :)

You don't need an ariel connected and tuned to use NowTV though - you do for the on-demand component of Freeview PLAY, based on my understanding, which is my concern.

As I mentioned in my point above. The TV License is out-of-date IMO... The TV license effectively allows the BBC to claim broadcast rights on all live video content (you are allowed to listen to radio free of charge ;) ). Why should the BBC receive funding if the live content being broadcast is not of their making or even using their transmission technology.

Call it what it is - a TAX and being a TAX those funds should go towards genuine public needs. I'm pretty sure the UK would survive if they lost the BBC. I doubt it would do so well if it lost the NHS or Schools.

All you have to do is plug an aerial in and tune the tv. Once tuned you can disconnect the aerial (thus stopping live broadcasts from being watched) and you will still have access to the catch up apps

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom