1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview on sky box

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Bambi, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Bambi

Bambi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

My mum and dad have got a skybox which they have the basic package on and I was wondering is it possible to get a 'freeview' card which would enable them to watch freeview channels through their satelite dish and stop paying the cost of channels they could get for nothing?

I thought it was possible to get these cards a while back but searching about I can't find anything about them on these forums.....

Thanks in advance

:)

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Freeview is the name for the DTT non-subscription service, you are confusing it with Free To View(FTV) which refers to the channels that are non-subscription but require a smartcard in a SKY digibox.

So in short the answer is no:)
    The channels that are in subscription packages on SKY make their money from your subscriptions, no subscriptions then no money. Some channels (those you are thinking of) use SKY subscription money to subsidise their Freeview carriage, clever idea but annoying for a SKY subscriber if you don't have the DTT option:)
    As for ABC1 and ITV3 they will probably turn up on the EPG sooner rather than later, at this point though no one is sure if the will be FTA, FTV or subscription.

I don't know if your parents live in a DTT coverage area but if the channels on DTT are of interest then paying for SKY may in the long run be costly compares to the one off price of a Freeview box and perhaps aerial upgrade.

3. Bambi

Bambi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

I will look into the freeview box route as that sounds as if it will be cheaper in the long run.

:smoke: