Freeview on PC, help please oh very kind people...

Thorny17

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello people.

Hope you're all well.

Just in the middle of re-jigging my bedroom with a new setup.

I now have no TV, which used to be connected to the outside arial via Coaxial cable to get my freeview on my TV.

I now only have a PC with a badass PC monitor, obviously though this has no coaxial cable.

So i'm looking into getting TV reception on my PC.

I believe one of these products is what I need but i'm not 100%? If anyone can help? I mean does my Coax cable plug into this somewhere for my Media Centre to pick up the signal via the USB? I'm baffled and can't find the answer.

Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T USB Stick - DVB-T Digital freeview TV tuner stick: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I realise there are other products out there that do the same job too, if anyone has a recommendation that would be amazing...

Thank you in advance, Liam.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The link includes the answer:
"plug it into your notebook or PC's USB 2.0 port and connect to a digital TV antenna"
which actually means connect to it a cable from your ordinary terrestrial aerial.
It "also includes a portable digital DVB-T antenna" which you could try instead of the connection to the aerial.
Another method is to fit a tuner card into the computer.
The link refers to that as well: "WinTV is the leading branded TV card".

Last edited by a moderator:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The USB device will take the ordinary plug that normally goes into a TV's Aerial In socket, and so will a tuner card.
I haven't seen the one on your link, but you could easily exchange either for the other - it's only simple co-ax cable.

The USB device will take the ordinary plug that normally goes into a TV's Aerial In socket, and so will a tuner card.
I haven't seen the one on your link, but you could easily exchange either for the other - it's only simple co-ax cable.

Thank you for your help.

You've made my life much easier.

Appreciated.

You're very welcome - enjoy the results - maybe click my button;). Logi

An alternative approach is to watch online... using this confusingly named TV catchup service. (It is not catchup - but live Freeview TV only.)

Hope you're not running Windows 8. I use a Haupauge freeview USB tuner WinTV HVR900 on an XP laptop very successully, but it's incompatible with a new Dell Win 8 desktop which just ignores it altogether. I think if you add Win 8 Media Centre it *might* work but that's more than £100 and the situation is confused. Otherwise MS have stripped all the video functions out.

Manufacturers don't seem to claim compatibility with Win 8 these days. Unless someone knows any better.

luggsie.

I have a Win8 laptop that accepts an ancient TV USB dongle quite happily but I did install Windows Media Center (sic) as part of the upgrade offer. Most of these are supplied with a proprietary program to use it rather than WMC.

An alternative approach is to watch online... using this confusingly named TV catchup service. (It is not catchup - but live Freeview TV only.)
I`ve signed upto the link you posted, what a cracking site for watching live TV :) No buffering either which I expected, I know the link wasn`t posted for me but still, thanks bud :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom