• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Freeview on PC, help please oh very kind people...

Thorny17

Standard Member
Hello people.

Hope you're all well.

Just in the middle of re-jigging my bedroom with a new setup.

I now have no TV, which used to be connected to the outside arial via Coaxial cable to get my freeview on my TV.

I now only have a PC with a badass PC monitor, obviously though this has no coaxial cable.

So i'm looking into getting TV reception on my PC.

I believe one of these products is what I need but i'm not 100%? If anyone can help? I mean does my Coax cable plug into this somewhere for my Media Centre to pick up the signal via the USB? I'm baffled and can't find the answer.

Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T USB Stick - DVB-T Digital freeview TV tuner stick: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I realise there are other products out there that do the same job too, if anyone has a recommendation that would be amazing...

Thank you in advance, Liam.

logiciel

The link includes the answer:
"plug it into your notebook or PC's USB 2.0 port and connect to a digital TV antenna"
which actually means connect to it a cable from your ordinary terrestrial aerial.
It "also includes a portable digital DVB-T antenna" which you could try instead of the connection to the aerial.
Another method is to fit a tuner card into the computer.
The link refers to that as well: "WinTV is the leading branded TV card".

logiciel

The USB device will take the ordinary plug that normally goes into a TV's Aerial In socket, and so will a tuner card.
I haven't seen the one on your link, but you could easily exchange either for the other - it's only simple co-ax cable.

Thorny17

Standard Member
The USB device will take the ordinary plug that normally goes into a TV's Aerial In socket, and so will a tuner card.
I haven't seen the one on your link, but you could easily exchange either for the other - it's only simple co-ax cable.

Thank you for your help.

You've made my life much easier.

Appreciated.

logiciel

You're very welcome - enjoy the results - maybe click my button;). Logi

Gavtech

Administrator
An alternative approach is to watch online... using this confusingly named TV catchup service. (It is not catchup - but live Freeview TV only.)

luggsie

Hope you're not running Windows 8. I use a Haupauge freeview USB tuner WinTV HVR900 on an XP laptop very successully, but it's incompatible with a new Dell Win 8 desktop which just ignores it altogether. I think if you add Win 8 Media Centre it *might* work but that's more than £100 and the situation is confused. Otherwise MS have stripped all the video functions out.

Manufacturers don't seem to claim compatibility with Win 8 these days. Unless someone knows any better.

luggsie.

lbear

I have a Win8 laptop that accepts an ancient TV USB dongle quite happily but I did install Windows Media Center (sic) as part of the upgrade offer. Most of these are supplied with a proprietary program to use it rather than WMC.

andiuk007

Banned
An alternative approach is to watch online... using this confusingly named TV catchup service. (It is not catchup - but live Freeview TV only.)
I`ve signed upto the link you posted, what a cracking site for watching live TV :) No buffering either which I expected, I know the link wasn`t posted for me but still, thanks bud :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom