1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview on multiple TV's?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by reboot, Aug 30, 2003.

1. reboot

reboot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have got Freeview in the downstairs lounge, and loving it :) This uses the roof ariel.
    I would also like Freeview upstairs on the second TV; after reading up about Freeview on multiple tv's, I have some questions.
    I believe I have 3 choices (?) :

1. I can get an ariel installer guy to go up their and route the roof ariel to the upstairs TV as well. If I did this: how much would it cost and can the two Freeview boxes watch different digital channels at the same time? If not, would I need the guy to install a second aerial; how much would that cost?

2. Use one of the RF tranceivers/modulators "thingies" that sends the channels to other TV's around the house; I believe with this I can only watch the same channel at the same time on the two TV's?

3. I read that "soon" Freeview boxes will be able to use normal indoor portable aerials? If so, why can't they already? Also, any approximation on when this will happen?

Kind Regards
    :)

2. Mike Heel

Mike Heel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get freeview with a normal portable aerial, it just needs to be a good one

3. reboot

reboot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate, excellent news :eek:

So, if I were to buy one of those quality indoor aerials, and use it downstairs with my current freeview box, and all was well, it should work upstairs as well no problem ?

Kind Regards

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    1. Yes you can get a feed to the bedroom and a second freeview box and watch different channels.

2. This is the method I use. Works well but same channel on both TV's only.

3. Depends on your location/signal strength. There are 'digital compatable' indoor aerials, but if you are surrounded by high buildings or the reception strength is low then it will not work.

Mark.

5. reboot

reboot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks MarkE19;

So, either 1 or 3 me thinks.
    About 1; you mean "Yes you can get a feed to the bedroom and a second freeview box and watch different channels" sharing the exisiting aerial or do I have to have a second aerial installed. Will there be any effects of sharing the same aerial?
    Furthermore, any idea about the costs of getting some guy to route the cable to the upstairs rooom (will be fairly simply btw because the room has an empty chimney with no fireplace so it could surely just be run down that?)

About 3; I will look into it - buy a quality digital indoor aerial, test it downstairs, if it works well I'll test it upstairs and if that works well, I'll just do that instead :).

Thanks again
    Kind Regards

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    You should be able to get away with just your existing aerial & 2 freeview boxes but it will reduce the strength of the signal to downstairs. If you have good reception then this should not be a problem, but if not then a masthead amp or additional aerial could be needed.
    Cost of a new aerial by a fully acredited fitter could cost £200+

Mark.

7. reboot

reboot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Mark
    I don't think I'll go down that route if I need a new £200 aerial
    :eek: However, how much do you reckon for the guy to route a feed to the upstairs room from the exisiting aerial?
    Also, if necessary, how much for a "masthead amp"?

Kind Regards

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    1: One freeview box definitely means, one channel at a time, regardless of how many TVs you route it to. Each box can only 'tune' to one channel (except the Pace 'Twin').

2: >1 box means >1 channel. But, as to what aerial, and how well it works, is all down to signal strength where you live. Indoor aerials, no matter what type, are always going to be more prone to signal problems than outdoor ones. And shared aerials (ie split between >1 digibox) are always going to perform less well than separate aerials. If you have a very strong and clean signal, you can get away with more compromise than if not. Safer, always, to have discrete, properly installed external aerials for each digibox.

9. reboot

reboot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased the "Labgear Tri-Star Supreme TV Aerial" for £18.99 from Argos, but I didn't get correct reception on half the channels (blocks and stuttering). It is the aerial that comes with a booster.

Would I have any luck with a different aerial? For that matter, is there any difference between a "booster" and an "amplifier".?

Lastly, my next best option is to get an aerial installer guy to route a feed from the the roof aerial down to the upstairs room. How much do you estimate this would cost?

Kind Regards
    :)

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    Indoor aerials will always be more prone to signal corruption than external ones. Aerials with onboard amplifiers, whilst they DO increase the strength of the signal, also amplify any noise or other unwanted contents. Which is why they are of limited value.

It is all down to how good the signal is (good means BOTH clean and strong) precisely where you are. And, in poorer areas, it can vary hugely in a matter of a few feet.

Sharing a cable from a single roof aerial is similarly dependent on the strength and purity of the signal on the roof, where you are. It may or may not produce satisfactory results.

Just because I can get faultless digital reception from my loft aerial doesn't mean that you could do likewise. With a weak telescope, I could see the transmitter from my roof - so the signal here is both strong and clean.

You should seek advice from a good aerial contractor in your area. He should have knowledge of the type of aerial needed, the most appropriate trasmitter (ie direction to point it) and so on.

11. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I have done exactly this thing. I tried a portable aereal (Labgear with booster), and had *real* problems (missing channels, artefacting etc), so decided to get a proper feed installed from the roof aereal.

I had it done professionally, but on the day was told I would need a masthead amp installed, because the SNR was getting low. Agreed to this, and haven't regretted it since. I can now have two perfect concurrent feeds from the roof aereal to the TV's. I just needed to buy a second STB.

It works really well, and the full install (with masthead) cost £120, which I didn't think was that bad (and it was the top-of-the-range Fringe model)

12. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a friend who runs the Edmar Lodge guest house in Norwich. When the FTV cards died, he decided to change over from Sky Digiboxes to Freeview boxes (a total of 5). I know for certain that he ordered an 8-way amplified splitter from satcure and had the whole system up and running by the following week. AFAIK he simply re-routed the LNB cables to the amplifier and fed his existing aerial feed into it.

Point is, he's using one aerial and he hasn't had to change it. Maybe just lucky. Anyway, if you want more details from him just search for "Edmar Lodge" and you'll find him. I'm sure he'll be happy to advise.

Fman

13. Comms Engineer

Comms Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    here is the low down - 1 Aerial can feed an infinite number of tv's .
    This is possible by using amplification equipment and distribution equipment eg splitters.

An inddor aerial may well work for free view but is dependant on signal strengh ie the best indoor aerial in the world wont give you digital if you have poor signal strength. Conversely a cheap indoor aerial will suffice if you have good signal strength.

14. brichards

brichards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Go to ARD Electronics on the net.
    They do Very good two, Three, and up to eight arial Boosters which boosts the signal by about 18 db

15. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Trying to save money on an aerial is short sighted - why bother buying a TV, a FV box, the aerial is an important device and must not be overlooked.

Also just use 1 box per TV

16. resurrected

resurrected

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We live in a poor reception area for both analogue and digital (according to post code checker). So when we moved to our new house in the same area we had to have a new aerial installation by a local installer. At that time (2 years ago) it cost approx £220 for TV & FM aerial installation along with mast head amp for TV, a 6 way distribution amp with signal mux (TV & FM) and splitter sockets in the rooms.

That was just for analogue at that time and Ch5 was almost watchable.;) (picture quality not content!)

Anyway last Xmas we went for a Nokia 221T box and it works superbly for reception. Have also tested with Nokia 9850T and a Goodmans GDB2 (Turkisk original Lodos DVB-T3) with also excellent results.

That investment in the aerial has paid back superbly and I don't have to think about $ky or cable to get better pictures. As Martin says don't scrimp on the aerial, it isnt worth it !