Freeview on KDL40W2000

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by rick_x, May 7, 2007.

Tags:
  1. rick_x

rick_x
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to have tuning issues with my KDL40W2000. My 10 year old onDigital Pioneer freeview box picks up channels like five and abc1 no problem but the tuner on my brand new HD set really struggles with these channels and sometimes gets them but mostly won't. I have the downlink from the aerial going to a booster and then two separate coaxial leads taking the signal to the Bravia and the freeview box upstairs. I spoke to Sony who told me the tuner is 'very sensitive' but weren't very knowledgable. It seems strange that a 10 year old piece of hardware is outperforming a very new one, any ideas?

PS According to the freeview website I should get these channels

Thanks

2. stockyvillage

stockyvillage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Try your antenna directly into you tv.If this fixes the problem you then know where the fault lies

3. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Mine resolutely refuses to show Sky News from its Freeview tuner. Other Panasonic tvs and Freeview boxes have no problem

Also, if you live in an area where more than one Freeview transmitter is available you need to ensure the correct signal is received and shown by the set if you use the automatic tuner. In areas where the weaker signal comes first in the 21-69 channel download you need to tune manually to load the correct signals in to your EPG

4. rick_x

rick_x
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any tips on how to do this?
    Cheers

5. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    If you opt for a manual tune instead of auto tune you can scan each channel 21-69 one by one and elect to pick channels from that channel to store on your set

Before doing this it is a good idea to check which channels your best transmitter uses via the BBC technical sites for digital tv

Tell us your post code and we'll tell you which channels to use

6. rick_x

rick_x
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, my post code is CV3 4AX

7. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    You should get digital tv from Sutton Coldfield with a horizontal aerial type E/W. You'll get most but not all digital stations until switchover in 2011
    Manually tune channels 41 44 47 51 and 52
    You'll get a list of what you should receive at www.bbc.co.uk/reception/digitaltv/freeview.shtml
    www.freeview.co.uk/availability
    If you don't get all or most of these you may need an aerial and or downlead upgrade
    I would suggest that you take your aerial downlead straight to the tv while tuning. It may be the quality of the booster/splitter you are using that is giving you the trouble. Once you have tuned the set you can always put the booster back and see if that is what is causing the problem

8. rick_x

rick_x
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit confused really, tried tuning without the booster and got 6 channels! With the booster I get 20 (no five, abc1, five life etc - all supposed to be in the region) making me think I need to do something about the aerial. However, my 10 year old Pioneer onDigital box picks up these channels no problem (with the booster)!

Tried tuning manually to no avail.

I could understand the aerial being an issue if it wasn't for the other box getting the channels (tried connecting the Bravia direct to the aerial and taking the onDigital box out of the setup with no change).

Odd!

9. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    If you remember at the beginning of this I said that my Sony would not pick up Sky News. This is despite a new aerial and a booster. Other digital sets (this region switches off the analogue within the year) pick up a full set of stations as does the (£31) Wharfedale freeview box I bought to test the original aerial reception

From this you may assume that the tuner within the Sony is not the best on the block

A couple of suggestions

The fact that Sutton Coldfield does not have a full set of transmissions at the moment presumes that there is congestion in the spectrum in your area. This main transmitter no doubt pumps out analogue signals at a high rate at the moment which can interfere with the digital signals. Once the analogue signal goes the digital signals may well increase in strength and the final Mux D will be added. This is not until 2011 however

In the meanwhile it is worth considering how old your aerial is and if it is the correct type for the digital transmissions. From your original post I am not sure that your aerial has a masthead amplifier with power fed up the cable from your tv set location. This is what you need rather than plugging the end of the downlead into a booster by the tv set. If it is on the masthead how old is it and are the connections sound and damp proof?

At the end of the day one could simply use the digital box you have or a dvd recorder with a tuner (Panasonic) although I appreciate this bumps up the electrcity useage

10. rick_x

rick_x
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I think in retrospect it may be my aerial, as you mentioned my booster is downlead and the aerial is the one that came with the (old) house! If I could be so cheeky as to ask if you have any recommendations for a 'reasonable' (blew almost all my AV budget on the TV) aerial setup I would be very greatful.

Thanks once again, your advice has been really helpful.

11. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Lots of info at www.digitalspy.co.uk/terrestrial/faq including the following:-

Sutton Coldfield is 21 miles away at 314 degrees

For digital tv you need a group E aerial (some will suggest group W wideband, but these can introduce interference from other transmitters and group E will suit you fine and provide better reception) and a high gain or extra high gain aerial is necessary with a masthead amplifier

Unless you are good on a roof you need a local aerial contractor who knows his stuff. Quiz the neighbours. Don't pick one whose name begins with AAA out of the yellow pages. You'll get an indication of aerial and amplifier retail prices at www.satcure.co.uk Phone up a couple of contractors See if the basic advice they give matches what you know, and if not, get them to explain why

They'll supply and fit. Remember the shorter the aerial they can use the less you'll get whiplash from the wind.

Cost? Well remember that hopefully this is going to last for 10 years +++ so it's not worth trying to save £20. Equally I know exactly where you are coming from when you say the budget has already been blown!

I GUESS, and it's only a guess, you'll be at £20/£30 for the aerial, £40/£50 for the amplifier, £20 for the cable and fittings and then the fitting and installation. My installation last autumn cost £130 and my guess is that it won't come in cheaper than that. If there are special factors or you need new chimney lashings etc it can be more

The best guy is, I suggest, never the cheapest, but in my experience he's never the dearest either!

12. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Agree with 961. Just a couple of other points.
    Don't let them sell you one of those cheapo freeview aerials with a slotted back plate, that you see everywhere. It's worth paying the extra for a good one specific to your area, with a reflector at the back made of 8 tubes. Also, insist on double screened aerial lead, not the old single screened type.
    Best of luck - with a good signal your Sony should work fine.