Freeview novice - BBC channels only?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by daveblue, Nov 7, 2004.

1. daveblue

daveblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I live in South Devon and I also get my terrestrial signal from a commun al aerial which has recently been upgraded. I have a TV with a built in Freeview decoder and have today for the first time managed to get a DVB signal, but the only channels are BBC ones, such as
    BBC1, 2, 3 and 4, Parliament, News 24 and the radio channels.

I do not get ITV, Channel 4 or 5 or any other music channels. Is it likely that these are not being broadcast on my transmitter or is there likely to be aproblem with the aerial??

Thanks

Dave

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,027
    Freeview uses a technique called multiplexing (Muxing for short) whereby several digital channels are broadcast using exactly the same amount of air space as ONE regular analog channel. Each "mux" is broadcast on a frequency equivalent to one old style TV channel. So, for example, if one mux is weak, then this will mean that five or six channels will be unwatchable.

To find out more about your transmitter, and the optimum type of aerial needed for your location, see here:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/

and look at DTT channel allocations and Transmitter Channel information. You should be able to work out what muxes, and hence what programmes, you can & can't get, and perhaps, why.

3. daveblue

daveblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!

4. daveblue

daveblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done what you suggested and I seem to be able to get Multiplex 1 and Multiplex B but no others. It seems all are being broadcast from my local transmitter... Any ideas why i wouldn't get them?

Dave

5. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I don't know the specifics of your location but it is possible your aerial isn't up to it. You may need a wideband aerial depending on the frequencies that the other channels are on. What does the postcode checker say?

Somebody on here may well know or be able to work it out, alternatively give a local aerial installer a ring, they should be able to tell you.