Freeview New User

Bazz68

Novice Member
So like many I’ve had Sky for as long as I can remember and currently have Sky Q. It works great but the price is extortionate in my view. A number of years ago I binned both Sky Sports and movies to lower costs but despite this the costs go up year on year so I decided to look for alternatives.

Having trawled the forums for a little while I decided to go for Freeview, mainly due to the ability to record several channels at the same time having got used to Sky Qs flexibility.

I checked the online address checker and found I was in a good reception area with around 100 channels available.

So ordered the Humax FVP- 5000T from Amazon and arrived next day. Came home from work and set it all up but no signal from the aerial socket.

Now I’ve been in the house 9 years and it’s about 25 years old so I’ve no idea when the aerials were last used.

Up in the loft and I find an external aerial connection, a loft aerial and an unbelievable amount of coax cables connected to various amplifiers in the lift.

I unplugged the external aerial lead and then plugged each coax into the aerial and checked the tv for a signal. Eventually got a signal but doing it was pretty low and kept losing it. Did an auto channel search and could only fine 23 channels all of them BBC !

I couldn’t be certain I had the right coax but thought I had so either I had a coax connection issue, damaged cable or an aerial issue. I switched to the loft aerial and got the same 23 bbc channels. At one point I only got channel 4 channels and not the bbc channels.

In an effort to confirm if it was a cable or aerial issue I bought a new loft wide and aerial, 25 metres of coax and some connectors, oh and an aerial signal checker box.

I ran a coax from the external aerial connection from the loft through the loft hatch and straight into the Humax. Carried out an auto search and wow 170 odd channels.

Prior to this I’d tried to confirm I was on the right coax in the loft by plugging a short coax lead in the aerial socket in the living room and shorting the screen and main cable by twisting them together. Up in the loft I checked every coax and only one showed any continuity at 75 ohms, a bit high I thought.

So I removed the aerial socket faceplate behind the tv in the living room, disconnected the coax and shorted it out as opposed to placing the short on the output of the faceplate. Lo and behold up the loft I’m now seeing 0.5 Ohms on that same coax. Connected this back to the external aerial connection and then back in the living room I removed the faceplate electronics board, connections the coax inside with a female connector and then connected the fly lead coax through the faceplate hole, replaced the faceplate and connected the fly lead to the PVR.

At last I now have all the 170 channels so I can only assume their was something wrong with the socket electronics or it wasn’t compatible with digital TV.

So far it’s working fantastically well, more channels than I’ll ever watch and all the on demand stuff working a treat.

I now have only one issue. In order to switch between sources with Sky and my firestick it just switches to the correct HDMI source when you select say the home button. However this is not the case with the Humax. I’ve discovered if you press the AV button on the humax remote then it brings up the source overlay on the tv screen and each press of the av button scrolls through each source and displays that source on the tv. However there doesn’t appear to be a way to then remove the source overlay screen from the tv other than with the TV remote which is a bit of a pain. Am I missing something or is there a setting I need to change somewhere ?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Auto selection of HDMI inputs uses a system called CEC. Each maker has a different name for CEC. For this to work both devices must have cec turned on.

A much more convenient way is to use a activity based remote like one of the logitech harmony remotes.

Selecting a different activity like say watch firestick, will put the 5000T into sby (don't sworry any recordings will still be made) and switch the TV to the Firestick input.

Example a activity named Watch 5000T can turn on the box and the TV, select the correct HDMI input on the TV and allocate the remote volume control to the TV rather than the box remote.

Favourites on the remote enable rapid channel changes to your favourite channels.

Bazz68

Novice Member
Auto selection of HDMI inputs uses a system called CEC. Each maker has a different name for CEC. For this to work both devices must have cec turned on.

A much more convenient way is to use a activity based remote like one of the logitech harmony remotes.

Selecting a different activity like say watch firestick, will put the 5000T into sby (don't sworry any recordings will still be made) and switch the TV to the Firestick input.

Example a activity named Watch 5000T can turn on the box and the TV, select the correct HDMI input on the TV and allocate the remote volume control to the TV rather than the box remote.

Favourites on the remote enable rapid channel changes to your favourite channels.

Yes I have CEC turned on and if I turn the PVR off and then back on it will switch to the correct hdmi. However if I’m on a different hdmi say for the Firestick I can switch back to the pvr hdmi input with the pvr remote but I then can’t close down the hdmi selection overlay screen on the tv with the pvr remote. I can only close the overlay screen with the Samsung tv remote.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom