Freeview, more like...

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by jonjonjon, Sep 23, 2005.

1. jonjonjon

jonjonjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thought I'd join the digital revolution that is freeview. Anyway I like to research before I buy, and looking at the online reviews it seems that just about every freeview box available is plagued with problems.

Does anyone have any recommndations for a reliable basic(not hdd or tutv) box please.

Thanks

Jon

2. eddielloyd

eddielloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony VTXD800. I've had it for nearly 2 years and I reckon it's locked up about half a dozen times. When i say locked up I mean the channel info stays on screen when changing a channel. that's the severity of the prolem. It's not done it for couple of months. All you need to do is switch the unit off for 10 seconds and back on. It doesn't lose any of the timer records that I've set either, which is nice.

3. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Our Nokia 221T has been reasonably reliable. Like all such boxes, it suffers occasional software "glitches" so I reckon we have to reboot it twice a year.

4. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Humax PVR-8000T which has never locked up, and is 100% reliable. :D

5. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I agree., most freeview boxes and not stable enough. You will find it difficult to find a good one.

I know smeone who have a Humax Fox-T and that seems to fine, now they have the latest update.

6. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,721
    Goodmans GDB 2 frequently locks up and has to be unplugged as there is no on off switch :rolleyes:

Pioneer Ex-ITV digital machine, much more reliable but occassionally ignores the remote, so on off on the on/off switch.

Hauppuage USB to PC, nice machine, records to PC, software locks up every now and then.

So none of them are perfect.

2 are running off desktop aerials and the 3rd off our new aerial I haven't roof mounted yet (it's 3 feet off the ground at the moment) so we must be in a good signal area.

Mind you we're in a bungalow and Westbury are about to build houses in our line of site to the transmitter, so depending where the gaps are we might get nothing!

Dave

7. Geofbob

Geofbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I bought the cheapest Freeview box I could find at the local Maplin, the Matsui DTR1, for £50, and it works fine. Indeed, I bought a second - for another TV with an indoor aerial - and that's great also. Occasionally, the Freeview channels sieze up, and I simply switch off the box of a minute or so, and it corrects itself when I switch back on. The only real problem I've ever experienced was due to a problem with the the outdoor (communal) aerial.

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I've also got the Sony VTXD800 Freeview STB and think it is about as good as they get. The channel changing is fast, as are the text & interactive features.
    When I first got it it locked up a couple of times, but has not done it for a long time now so a software update probably fixed that problem.

I don't think I've seen any users of this STB complain about it's performance or features. It is now quite an old STB, but I've not seen anything to replace it other than the DVR's.

Mark.

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Poor - Nokia Ondigital box

Good - Pace DTVA

Variable - Pace Twin

Very Good - SOny IDTV

10. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too recommend the Sony VTX-D800U. Very stable, fast and well designed.

11. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Do Freeview boxes differ in their sensitivity? I'm in a location which officially shouldn't be able to receive Freeview, but some time ago I borrowed an elderly and clunky box (Philips, I think) which worked perfectly well. Now I've acquired a more up to date Daewoo box: it's much smaller, lighter and neater - but it doesn't find any channels at all. The aerial and downlead are exactly the same as they were before, so presumably this is just down to the receiver.

If some boxes are more sensitive than others, which make and model is most likely to be effective in my fringe location?

Many thanks,

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

12. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Bloody hell, you're lucky. My 221T is decidedly temperamental - will go fine for a week and then start freezing up (requiring the power cable to be yanked out the back) several times a day. That's why it's been relegated to the bedroom now we've got Sky+ and barely gets used any more.

13. wildone

wildone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cerebros - wire in an inline power switch to the mains cable. Whenever you get lockups, it's easier to flick the switch. Apologies for being off-thread - thought I'd share a tip with fellow 221T users.

14. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well I just got fed up with the lock-ups which is why the 221T is now barely used.

15. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sony IDTV2 without CAM support or a TV attached

16. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Do you need an upgraded aerial for the Sony VTX-D800 ?

17. IndianaBlues

IndianaBlues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    I got one a few weeks ago and it can pick up all the channels dtg.org.uk says I might be able to receive (and some it says I can't), even with my old aerial :)

18. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks

That should keep my parents happy when I set it up for them

:thumbsup:

19. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've ahd a Nokia 221 for some time now and the quality of picture is better than I had expected, but the constant lockups (which have got worse recently) and the lack of weekly programme guide are a pain.

I'm just waiting for a reasonably priced unit with a sensible sized HD, twin tuners and output to an external recorder to replace it with. The the Nokia will go into teh breakfast room.

20. jonjonjon

jonjonjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all the replys so far.

It seems that the most reliable box is the Sony, but at £80 that's a bit to expensive for my needs (basic receiver for the bedroom tv)

So I decided to buy the Sagem IDT58 from argos for £30, and if it breaks down i'll probably take it back for a refund and then get the Sony.

Anyway 1 hr old, and so far so good, in as much as it works. However the amber coloured LED light is continually flashing, and according to the manual if it flashes more than 14 times the box is defective. However the box appears to be functioning correctly (all channels received, Text, audio, etc) apart from the flashing amber LED.

Anyone have this problem :confused: .

Jon

21. jonjonjon

jonjonjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have subsequently reset the box(pulled power cord out), and low and behold the flashing amber light is now a static green beacon of statbility :thumbsup: