Freeview Issues with RF2 on Sky +

JonnyA

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Bit of a bizarre one this but I'll do my best to explain.

We have a loft aerial into a Sky + HD box, this then links out via the aerial out to the main TV in the lounge and RF2 to a TV in the bedroom. The TV in the lounge is fine in every respect.

The Sky on the bedroom TV has been poor for a while with a snowy picture, but not bad enough to motivate me to do something about it. This week however the freeview on the bedroom TV lost Dave, just before Red Dwarf -panic stations.

So, I've moved the RF2 output from Ch 36 to 69 and the picture is now bob on, retuned the TV and we've got Dave back, but lost ITV, Ch 4 and Ch 5!!

I'm thinking I need to boost the signal out of RF2 (possibly via an SLX 4B?) but thought I'd get some input first.

Any thoughts?

JonnyA said:
Hello folks,

Bit of a bizarre one this but I'll do my best to explain.

We have a loft aerial into a Sky + HD box, this then links out via the aerial out to the main TV in the lounge and RF2 to a TV in the bedroom. The TV in the lounge is fine in every respect.

The Sky on the bedroom TV has been poor for a while with a snowy picture, but not bad enough to motivate me to do something about it. This week however the freeview on the bedroom TV lost Dave, just before Red Dwarf -panic stations.

So, I've moved the RF2 output from Ch 36 to 69 and the picture is now bob on, retuned the TV and we've got Dave back, but lost ITV, Ch 4 and Ch 5!!

I'm thinking I need to boost the signal out of RF2 (possibly via an SLX 4B?) but thought I'd get some input first.

Any thoughts?

Yes, try the Sky+HD modulator on RF CH21 and retune the Tv again.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Location (and therefore the transmitter frequencies) is important! Where are you?

Have you checked that all Freeview channels are OK on the lounge TV via RF1 out of the $ky box? i.e. with the $ky box in standby using the TV's Freeview tuner.

If yes: then try this: connect the aerial (disconnect from RF in of $ky box) to the feed to the other TV (disconnect from RF2 out) to see if all the Freeview channels are then good...

If no: look for a dodgy connection on the aerial lead (or leads) and get that right first. {Also check the UHF TV aerial hasn't been damaged or moved, by a strong wind. Check the aerial cable isn't loose, flapping in the wind or is otherwised damaged.

Couldn't agree more about closeness to transmitter being important.

I live about 4 miles away from Emley Moor Transmitter albeit without sight of it (I live on a hill).

I use a £7 Wilkinsons indoor aerial (just a piece of circular wire fitted into a plastic base). It sits on my window sill and doesn't appear to have too much of a problem with how it is positioned.

It goes through two brick walls and I still get a magnificent PQ.
Upstairs I have another one connected with equally good results.

Neighbours have had professionally installed aerials in preparation for the Digital changeover but their PQ is no better.
Not sure at what distance (from Transmitter) this advantage disappears but try it if you live close is my advice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom