• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Freeview Issues Littlehampton

NPY1970

Standard Member
Is it just me or are other people having issues with freeview in West Sussex, recieving from the Rowbridge transmitter
Thank you in advance for your responses

NPY1970

Standard Member
From about 4pm to about 1am my signal degenerates to the point that all my channels are impossible to watch due to serious pixelation. If i go on analogue tv then there seems to be alot of static interference. I have replaced the areial and put a booster in.
This problem has been occuring since 8th December, even though the signal has been pretty weak since i switched over
I would appreciate any advice
Thank you

A1944

That sounds very like the times that many streetlights are on at the moment. It could be that there is one close to you that has a fault and is emitting electrical interference.

Regretably, such a problem can be a real problem to track down. If you can find the culprit, WSCC's streetlights page is the place to go.

Have a look at some of the suggestions about tracking things in this thread.

Last edited:

NPY1970

Standard Member
Thank you for your reply A1944, i will have a look when i take the dogs out tonight
Never thought about street lights

A1944

Thank you for your reply A1944, i will have a look when i take the dogs out tonight
As mentioned in that thread, you may not find one that is visibly showing a problem, it might just be creating electrical noise. I had just this problem a few years ago, and the light which was responsible was bright and steady. I tracked it down with a radio.

Edit: When they came round after I had identified the culprit and reported it, they took the fuse out of the bottom for a while to confirm it was the source and then changed the whole top of the column (what they called "the lantern").

Last edited:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
If the interference stops at 01:00: that will only happen if the streetlights have timer (or similar) controls and go off at night, rather than operate from dusk to dawn. (My local council has recently installed such devices to save electricity, some lamps dim, some switch off and others remain on depending on precise location and a 'risk' assessment).

Of course another likely culprit is a central heating system with faulty thermostats. - or any other (faulty) electrical device that is switched on and off at those times. Check with your neighbours to see if and how they are affected. A bit of cooperation will allow you to eliminate all items in your own homes as the potential source (or even discover which home is the culprit).

A1944

If the interference stops at 01:00: that will only happen if the streetlights have timer (or similar) controls and go off at night, rather than operate from dusk to dawn.
Round here (in the same county as the OP) all the side street lights go off sometime between 0000 and 0100 and come back on again about an hour before dawn.

0100 seems a bit late for central heating, but is always a possibility.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Thank you to you all for your ideas, was wondering though if it could be xmas lights?
Yes, it could be all sorts of things.

The clue is in the times... if the interference starts when the Christmas Lights switch on and stops when they go off then it is a likely culprit...

If you can, get them switched on and off at different moments to see if the interference comes and goes with them.

It's like a doctor diagnosing an illness... they eliminate the 'possibles' one at a time until they are left with fewer and fewer suspects.

NPY1970

Standard Member
I did but couldn't find anythig, did check the nieghbours and theirs is just as bad. Sorry didn't post earlier, laid up with flu now!

NPY1970

Standard Member
Looks like i can discount the street light idea as the interference is back with avengence tonight, nice idea though A1944

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom