1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview interference...

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by ali68, Dec 30, 2004.

1. ali68

ali68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, just installed a Top up tv box at my parents,Thomson type, new high gain ariel and a new screened cable from set top box to ariel.

My problem is when the washing machine is operated the tv signal deteriorates. i.e. when the solenoid valves operate to allow water into the machine the picture goes blocky and on the spin cycle the picture just disappears. Tv and box in a different room, arial in same room approx 8 feet away from and above machine.

Any ideas :lease: , can only think it must be the new arial.

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,883
    Are you saying it's an indoor AERIAL........is the AERIAL in the loft?
    Nothing to beat a propely sited/aligned outside AERIAL.

3. ali68

ali68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's an outdoor aerial mounted in the loft (got the spelling right this time).

Power approx 50%
    Quality approx 75-100%

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,883
    I would say you have a weak signal, when the signal is so weak impulse interference from thermostats, electrical switches etc (contained within the washing machine) and fridges etc will cause the symptoms you are experiencing.
    Only solution is to move the aerial further from the source of interference and if that doesn't cure it try a masthead amplifier.
    Good luck.

5. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My parents had the same problem but with a boiler switching on and off. I fitted a mains surge protector (with inbuilt RFI suppression) and that cured the problem. I'd always look at the mains for interference first then at the RF input, its good practice anyway to fit a mains surge protector on all video/audio/computer equipment (I can't believe everyone doesn't do this).

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The whole point of having an aerial outside is that the roof and walls of the house screen out a lot of interference generated within the house. The aerial should be sited so that it is furthest away from the common sources of interference (boilers, washing machines, fridges, freezers, PC's, etc). The aerial should be connected to the TV with satellite quality cable which will also help screen out interference. Masthead amplifiers can actually make interference worse, because a lot of interference is "mains borne" (i.e. it travels in mains wiring), and masthead amps are mains driven. A bigger aerial is far better than a masthead amp.

7. ali68

ali68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try the surge protector first, then no doubt it will be onwards and upwards if no success with that. I know the solution is outside but I am trying to avoid that as the area I live is under regular battering from high winds.

When fitting this aerial I had to go through a wall into a cupboard and then up to the loft space believe it or not the wall was 4'6" thick. They only ever used an aerial on top of the tv before that, with good results I may add.

Good quality sat cable was used.

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Could be Ariel but my wife uses Tesco Bio try a different powder and see how that works!

9. roman-r

roman-r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I rekcon the surpressor will work and the aerial will be ok inside the loft although not the ideal place for it.

I found my fridge freezer was causing my CD Player and Home Cinema Amp to buzz - it wasn't audiable but you could feel the casements vibrating :mad:

I solved the issue by just flipping the earth switch on my Rel Subwoofer :clap:

bobcar, what surpressor do you recommend as I might get a couple for additional peace of mind, if they can replace my 4-way extention blocks - Russ Andrews I suspect :)

10. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I used this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...rements/ref=ed_tec_dp_2_1/202-6657662-7819063 as the last one I bought though I've used others in the past. It completely cured a problem with my parents Freeview, the washing machine made the picture unviewable and the central heating would cause a 2 second loss every time it switched on/off. I can't say this is any better than another brand/model though.

The important thing if you are worried about RFI interference is the EMI/RFI reduction, the higher the better there's a big difference between 30dB and 60dB.