Freeview interference problems.

A

ANNDEE

Just joined the Freeview set invested in new Sony LCD with built-in freeview and also a Panasonic DMR-EX85 also built-in freeview, all plugged-in and working well apart from frequent patches of squares, short picture freeze, title banner appears (as would happen changing channel ) and worse of all sharp clicking sounds!
The areial has been changed to a Televes Infinito 'F' the downlead replaced with WF100 75 Ohm coax cable and no improvment this happens with just the TV and also when using the Panasonic, help urgently needed as never had this these problems with analogue, and having 'forked out' much cash! and now recording clicks and breakups I'm totally confused.

Put your postcode in here:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html

Make sure you're in the retailer not consumer section. Its more detailed.

This site gives some useful info too:

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

Do any of your neighbours get Freeview?

Is the aerial aimed correctly? Some people have recommended using Google Earth to line up a local landmark in the same dsirection as the transmitter.

How long is the downlead? You may need to get a professional installer to check the signal strength at the output of the aerial.

ANNDEE responded to a post of mine on this topic in the DVD Recorder section:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417603

To save you reading all of the above thread, I have a Unix 52 plus mast head amp, and double screened cable on all aerial runs, and according to Wolfbane and DTG I can receive Freeview (obviously, as I do...!).

My apparent 'problem' is I always have a signal quality of 10 but 'only' signal strength of 7-8.

If my strength is low, I'd have expected to have poor 'quality' as well - or is quality not relevant for an interference free viewing experience?

And is a signal strength of 7-8 "not good enough" for regular, interference free viewing?

As far as I know, the signal level should ideally be around 60%. If it's higher then the analogue signal will swamp the digital tuner, causing errors (and consequent lower "signal quality" indication). Obviously the "signal quality" should be as high as possible, although 100% is not necessary. If your signal level is too high, try adding a variable attenuator at the Freeview tuner input. Adjust it for 60% signal which should hopefully give the best "quality" reading. (This has nothing - or very little - to do with picture quality, BTW. It's only necessary if you get picture "breakup").

As far as I know, the signal level should ideally be around 60%. If it's higher then the analogue signal will swamp the digital tuner, causing errors (and consequent lower "signal quality" indication). Obviously the "signal quality" should be as high as possible, although 100% is not necessary. If your signal level is too high, try adding a variable attenuator at the Freeview tuner input. Adjust it for 60% signal which should hopefully give the best "quality" reading. (This has nothing - or very little - to do with picture quality, BTW. It's only necessary if you get picture "breakup").

That's interesting reading Sam..thanks for the input. Maybe that's what's wrong with my reception..my signal quality and level are both reading 9s and 10s across the board and I still have intermittent momentary break-up in signal. (Both on my freeview set top box and my USB Freeview DVB-T on the PC).
What is a 'variable attenuator'? How would I go about setting that up and giving that a try.

Cheers, Roo

EDIT: Ah googled aerial attenuators and I see what you mean now..cheers.

roorooroo, Let me know how you get on if you purchase an attenuator as i suffer from same probs as you.

Ive found a variable one for only ÂŁ2.99 inc p+p

I thinks this could be the answer as ive done some googling on this

Regards

Kev

Surely if you have quality of 100% then it doesn't matter what the signal strength is?

Obviously you need sufficient strength to achieve 100% quality and strength to overcome local interference but once continuous 100% quality is achieved I would have thought that you should have a picture that cannot be made any better.

roorooroo, Let me know how you get on if you purchase an attenuator as i suffer from same probs as you.

Ive found a variable one for only £2.99 inc p+p

I thinks this could be the answer as ive done some googling on this

Regards

Kev

Hi Kev,
I bought an attenuator and gave it a go (6db) but unfortunately it didn't seem to have any effect at all. I will try another one when I get chance.
Let me know how the variable one performs if you buy it.
Cheers, Roo

I suspect that 6dB isn't enough. That's why I suggested a variable one. Those usually go from around 6 to 20 dB.

Surely if you have quality of 100% then it doesn't matter what the signal strength is?

If the signal momentarily swamps the tuner, the quality reading won't always show this, as it's an average.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom