1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview Interactive and MCE

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by richjthorpe, Sep 16, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Does MCE allow the Interactive stuff that you can get on BBC and Channel 4 ?

Richie.

2. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    No.

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Is it in Emerald?

4. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    Not that I've heard. Don't forget that DVB-T is totally unknown in the US where the major design decisions on MCE get made. I'm not even sure whether DVB-T radio channels are in Emerald although Hauppauge at least have hacked their drivers to work with MCE plus have a new card that promises DVB-S support in MCE.

5. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What a load of crap ! Are you telling me that if I want to run MCE, I still need my old Freeview PVR to view the Interactive stuff ? Useless ! WAF just gone down the pan methinks !

Do any other Media Centres work with Interactive ?

Richie.

6. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    :eek: :(

Man, i was just coming round to the idea of a MCE box to play around with and then :suicide: You can't use any interactive functions :censored: :censored:

Sky+ Digibox ftw!

7. MyUK

MyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have installed Rollup2/Emerald and DVB-T radio does now work (they show as TV channels with a screen "Digital Audio Service")

Interactive "red button" features and subtitles don't work.

Steve

8. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    i use the myuk pluggin for mce linkage to stuff like the bbc website for news\sport\weather pickup ... plus mceweather for an easy to use setup-once weather app. Its not the same as interactive I'll give you (obviously doesn't help with multiscreen bbc stuff) but it makes up for the loss of the bbc\itv news\sport\weather pages by giving more info than you'd get on dvb-t interactive (don't forget, its never gonna be as good as sat interactive, just not enough bandwidth - no news multiscreen etc on ANY dvb box).

9. mrdavo

mrdavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a shame Freeview interactive features aren't supported - is there no way round this?

For myself it's not that big a problem as I'll simply be able to flick back to the TVs integrated digital tuner when I need use interactive, but can imagine this is most annoying for Freeview box users.

10. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    That's what I thought at first as well. But to be honest I can't recall how many times a year we actually use the Interactive services...

Actually we did use it last night to check the weather on Sky which was different than the weather through My Weather (weather.com) and guess what...The MCE box was right!

I will miss the multi-screen for the tennis at Wimbledon and Golf at Wentworth, but that's twice a year and MCE has so many more advantages that it outways that shortcomming...

Most of the stuff is nonsense anyway and through services like MyUK, MyWeather, MaMe frontend, etc...You can get a much better 'interactive' experience...

It's a matter of time for a software update I think...Though it might not come before Vista....

11. mrdavo

mrdavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes; I only use Freeview interactive for the snooker, tennis and occasionally football, and if one were to want to record, say, the snooker match on the interactive channel, I believe you could set it to the appropriate channel number anyway? (70x or something from memory.)