• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

freeview in other room

K12T

Novice Member
Hi, I am having a problem with freeview in the kitchen. It is working perfectly in the living room, but is rarely used in the living room as a I have sky.

My perception - aerial plugged into the back of sky box, RF Out plugged into amplifier, amplifier plugged back into a wall socket that then takes combined freeview/RF out sky signal to the loft box, which distributes freeview and sky to kitchen.

As mentioned, freeview wasnt working properly in the kitchen. i can watch sky (RF channel 32) and most freeview channels in the kitchen but channels like ITV 4 and Al Jazeera dont work. So to experiment i pulled out the aerial plug from the back of the sky box, thinking this would stop the freeview signal but it didnt, the same channels still come. any idea how my house might be wired up and how i might be able to improve my freeview signal in the kitchen?

mike7

Distinguished Member
Can we have a bit more information please? What is the 'amplifier' you have plugged into the wall socket. This may just be a power supply to power the 'loft box'. That is the usual arrangement.

Also what is the 'loft box'? Pulling out the aerial and still getting a channel or two implies that it is the wiring that is performing as a crude 'aerial'. Are you sure that the aerial, when it is fed straight into the living room TV, is giving you all the channels? Sorry about all the questions but it should help in solving the difficulty.

K12T

Novice Member
Thanks for your reply. I'll best answer your questions, please let me know if you have any more.

So the amplifier is equivalent to this - Buy SLX 2-Way Aerial Amplifier | Free Delivery | Currys As mentioned, the RF out cable from the sky box goes into this amplifier (into the 'aerial' slot) and then TV 1 output from the amplifier then goes into the wall, which then (presumably) goes to the loft.

In the loft there is an old Philips 6 way splitter, with one "Input" and 6 "Outputs" that are distributed around the house.

OK, so the wiring might be acting as a crude aerial, but why then even if i plug the aerial into the sky box, this doesn't change anything? My concern is that whether the aerial is plugged into the sky box or not, i only receive some channels

And yes i can confirm that in the living room the signal is perfect for all freeview channels, including the HD channels. Signal strength is 85% in the living room (while is a paltry 15% in the kitchen for the channels that do work).

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Do go over all the TV plugs and cables feeding the kitchen TV with a fine toothcomb, re-making them as needed. Change any moulded plastic fly leads for better ones (or ones that are known OK from another room.

Also relocate it (temporarily) into the lounge and try it direct on the aerial, then on the output of the Sky box and finally on the output of the SLX amplifier to see the results... It may just have a very poor (deaf) Freeview tuner.

Also, have you tried connecting the aerial direct to the uplink to the loft box? and/or through the SLX amplifier (i.e. avoiding adding in the $ky box's RF modulator signal temporarily)? If not do so and post the results.

Next. Remove the SLX amp and by-pass the splitter in the loft to feed only the kitchen to see if that cures things, and report the result.

Do all the other 5 outputs from the loft feed other TVs? If yes, how do they fare? If no, will they in the near future?

mike7

Distinguished Member
I'd certainly go along with Rodders suggestions. Is the Philips loft box just a splitter, without any powered amplification? If it is an amplifying device where does the power come from? If it is just a basic splitter then this may be the weak link in your chain. The signal drops as it is split and, as Rodders says your kitchen TV may not respond well to a poor signal. Strangely a number of Freeview set top boxes had better tuners than some TVs.

One thing you might try is to remove your amplifier and connect the 'up' lead to the loft directly to the Sky output. Now connect your amplifier to the lead feeding your kitchen TV; in the kitchen itself. Might be a complete waste of time but worth a try.

If you don't need the other feeds in the loft then either do away with the splitter altogether or fit a powered/amplified one.

I can't give you any advice on the SKY box output performance. There are different models but I assume they pass through (and slightly amplify) the aerial signal in a similar fashion so I don't see much point in amplifying the signal again.

Last edited:

K12T

Novice Member
Thanks for your guidance, I'll begin addressing both your suggestions.

As an additional note, I removed the 'input' cable from the Phillips distributor (it is just a splitter, no amplifying as no power source in the loft) but I continued to receive the limited freeeview in the kitchen, and as mentioned channels were limited and signal weak. So removing the input to the loft box doesn't impact my freeeview in the kitchen!! Does this suggest that the sky RF out and freeeview signals aren't 'mixing' from the living room and that the only reason I'm getting signal is that, as you mentioned, the wiring is acting as a,crude aerial?

mike7

Distinguished Member
Can you confirm that if you connect a tv directly to the RF output of the Sky box you get the Sky feed on channel 32 plus ALL the Freeview channels. If they are not coming through at the source point then that may be where the problem lies.

By the way you do not need a power source in the loft to use an amplified splitter. DC power can be sent up to the loft from the room end of the cable.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
DO take the kitchen TV to the Living room and connect it direct to the aerial as I suggested. That should prove something very quickly if it is a receiver problem (or not).

I assumed from your "i can watch sky (RF channel 32) and most freeview channels in the kitchen" in post#1 that the basic connections are OK from the $ky box output to the kitchen, but suspect the aerial signal level may be poor and need a 'help' from a booster (but the one you link to and use isn't the best of brands/designs imho)?

Where are you? NB ch32 may no longer be a suitable RF channel for the $ky box and be causing interference to some of the DTT multiplexes (even though years ago it was fine, things have changed due to DSO and again due to clearing ch61 to 68 since then). Use detailed view of Digital UK - Coverage checker to find the frequencies used by the broadcasters in your locality.

K12T

Novice Member
@mike7 i can confirm that the living room TV is plugged into RF Out 2 from the Sky Box and it receives all freeview channels and I have also tuned channel 32 to the living room TV, and Sky also comes so it must be a problem from once the signal leaves the living room. would you be able to send me the link for an amplifier similar to what you mentioned?

@Rodders53 Ive just checked that the kitchen TV is working correctly, and it is in the living room. I'm in London, Crystal Palace Transmiter so the channels are 23, 26, 30, 25 and 28

As im sure you can see, the most baffling part of this to me is that i still receive some freeview channels when the aerial is not plugged into the sky box (which could, as mentioned earlier, imply that the wiring is acting as a crude aerial) but when i plug the aerial into the sky box, nothing improves...

Last edited:

mike7

Distinguished Member
I'm still left wondering if your box in the loft is actually an amplified splitter. If this were the case then it needs dc power to work otherwise it will block anything other than the strongest signal. Any way of photographing it for us to identify. Otherwise you have a faulty connection or short circuited cable somewhere. Perhaps Rodders53 has another idea.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Ideally you should change the $ky box RF out frequency asap as it's likely causing interference to other mux channels. An analogue modulator on 32 will blot out at least ch 31, 32 & 33 with the possibility of it being wider still. CP currently uses 23, 26, 30*, 25, 22, 28, 33* & 29 with 30 & 33 being HD muxes. Go much higher... like the default ch 68.

RF1 is normal to use for the local TV feed and RF2 for the remote sets as that one is 'magic eye' capable, but that shouldn't be a big issue. DO however swap them over to check --- it may be that one output from the box is faulty? (Similarly swap the fly-leads around to eliminate them as the problem).

Get an aerial 'coupler' or 'joiner' to by-pass the loft splitter box and see if that helps? I'm rather baffled that the ch32 signal gets to the kitchen but not the aerial-fed signal...

It may be worth trying the SLX amp between the aerial and Sky box input? to see if that balances up the levels more than amplifying after the Sky box?

EDIT: Mike7's suggestion of a pic of the loft bits is good! It would likely help a lot.

Last edited:

K12T

Novice Member
thanks for your suggestions, I'll give them a try tonight. I've attached a pic of my loft splitter for Mike, let me know....

K12T

Novice Member
http://s18.postimg.org/ba84ecuc9/DSC_0026.jpg
DSC_0026.jpg

mike7

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that. It does look like a straightforward splitter without amplification. Not sure what 'Power pass' indicates as the arrows go from 'out' to 'in'. It is possibly a weak link in your chain as the signal input will be attenuated (reduced) in the process of splitting so many ways. The only reference I can find to it on the web is as part of some plans for a tv distribution system in a hotel. The component is now manufactured by a firm called Fracarro and their specification indicates a signal loss through the splitter which is to be expected.

http://www.satcomnet.com.my/file/PAS12 2-011.pdf

Try Rodders suggestions as he knows more about Sky boxes than I do. Otherwise you are left with a possible cable fault.
Where do the other outputs go? Do they go to other rooms and, if so, have you tried those connections to see if the TV works any better there.

winston2010

Not sure what 'Power pass' indicates as the arrows go from 'out' to 'in'.

That is quite correct. This splitter is good to 2300MHz, satellite IF. When used for splitting sat IF (one band and polarity only obviously) the outs would be connected to the sat rx which would send volts back to the LNB.

The Fracarro unit you linked to is not the same at all as it TV bands only.

mike7

Distinguished Member
That is quite correct. This splitter is good to 2300MHz, satellite IF. When used for splitting sat IF (one band and polarity only obviously) the outs would be connected to the sat rx which would send volts back to the LNB.

The Fracarro unit you linked to is not the same at all as it TV bands only.
Just making the point that similar units are non - active splitters that reduce the signal. Whether they are suitable for bands higher than tv is a bit irrelevant to the original enquiry.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
OK so there are six outs connected.... do ANY work properly or NONE? (You may be able to use the kitchen TV in the other room outlets to check?)

PS... you have unscrewed and checked those connections, haven't you... I know I managed to mess up one once and bent the inner core over when screwing it in on an awkward connection mainly by feel :blush: ... It didn't work until I removed and re-made it :p

Mike7: The power pass is, typically, to permit a masthead aerial amplifier between the aerial and input to get power from any one of the 6 room outlets: in the room you have a power supply box that connects via fly leads between the wall plate (or cable if no plate) and the feed to the TV receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom