Freeview in kitchen with new digital aerial

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by sbrown4, Aug 11, 2013.

1. sbrown4

sbrown4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please Please help,

We have recently bought a small 24" samsung freeview tv for our kitchen. I purchased a labgear high gain digital wideband aerial installed in the loft (live in solihull in west midlands with B91 postcode) along with brand new coaxial cable.

Long story short, the picture breaks up and is useless to watch, tried moving the aerial around to no avail, bought a labgear DVB digital aerial finder but this didn't help either. Every time I moved the aerial in the loft, the lights in the signal finder didn't increase.

We are now at the point where we haven't used this tv for about a month, hence the plea to you guys on here. I know I could get someone in but that could cost.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. bow79

bow79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Did you have a working picture from something else to something ese before this?

3. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    There is NO SUCH THING as a digital aerial. If that is how Labgear described it it is mis-described for the purposes of the Sale of Goods Act. Let you know that so you have ammunition to return it if necessary.

The recommended place for an aerial is outside 10 metres high, so that it clears the roof. They can sometimes work in the loft, it seems in your case it won't. Water tanks, plumbing, wiring, foil insulation under the tiles, looking through a row of terraces can all affect loft mounted aerials.

I guess you know what to do now without me telling you.

4. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +918
    All sorts of possibles with this one... Is this the only terrestrially-fed TV in the house (with others on cable or $ky?)... or is there another TV aerial feeding other sets OK?

Some of what you need to know/check is on A.T.V (Aerials And Television) FM DAB TV Aerial, plus poles and brackets it's a wealth of information and you should go over your connections with a fine tooth comb to ensure you have no stray whiskers of outer close to / touching the inner conductor.

Coverage Checker - Detailed View is a B91 postcode (change the address to your own) and an aerial will point almost North (use a compass or Google maps) towards Sutton Coldfield.

Ideally tune in the TV on a known working aerial and do not retune again when back in your kitchen (take the TV to your Lounge aerial feed or a friend or neighbour) If not possible, a Manual tune (not auto) to one of the muxes and see if you then get anything.

One last possible is that you have too much signal with such a high gain aerial only 21km (13 miles) from a powerful transmitter? (Improbable in my view in a loft but it is possible.) Too much signal can cause breakup as readily as too little. An aerial attenuator in line between aerial and TV would quickly (dis)prove that theory.