Freeview in Cardiff

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Bruin, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Bruin

Bruin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a problem with my Panasonic DMR-PWT-520EB in that when the aerial is plugged in the signal quality for Freeview HD channels rarely gets above 3 (strength 8 - 9) but plugging the aerial directly in to my TX-L37ET5B gives me a quality of around 8.
    Whilst problem solving this I noticed that every aerial here in Fairwater points to mendip rather than Wenvoe which is only a few miles away. Does anyone have any ideas as to why?

2. vidjo

vidjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Maybe got a ghost free picture in ye olde analogue days

3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,171
    Direct line of sight to Mendip and topography in the way for Wenvoe ? If using auto tuning are you sure the best channels aren't finishing up in the 800's. If so manual tuning is the answer.

4. Bruin

Bruin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you, I'll have a look at the signal quality in the 800's

5. lbear

lbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    If I read your post correctly, you are only getting these low readings on the HD channels (?). If you are not getting any picture disturbance or break-ups, don't worry. I have noticed on the HD channels strange things can happen with the "quality" readings depending on the box. Both the Humax Youview box and the Technika STBHDIS2010 have meters that jump about on the HD channels and this seems to be related to the bandwidth allocated to the individual channel during the "stat muxing". Strangely the Humax HD Fox T2 does not display this "feature".

6. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    Fairwater P.O. is 124 degrees for Mendip and 224 degrees for Mendip; 5km & 51km respectively. Coverage Checker - Detailed View I'd guess most C/D aerials there for Mendip would still pick up more than sufficient from Wenvoe (group B) while directed to England. Mendip gave Channel 4 rather than S4C in analogue days, plus alternative programme timings and two ITV regions and suchlike; which accounts for the reason most point that way.

It's possible that the receiver has latched onto the Mynydd Machen transmitter HD frequency rather than Wenvoe? However, unless the signal is giving problems (picture or sound breakup) I'd be inclined to 'not worry' about the numbers...

Does the TX-L37ET5B give different figures when the aerial feed is looped through the recorder? If 'no' then - after checking for any better quality duplicates in the 800s - forget the issue. If however the quality does drop: try relocating the hdmi and aerial cabling keeping the hdmi as far as possible from the hdmi lead and see if this makes any difference.

7. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I think that should be 124 for Mendip and 224 for Wenvoe and 51 and 5 respectively.

8. Bruin

Bruin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    To finish off this post, I had a local firm come and check the signal which was really bad. I opted for a new aerial and coax. He found a split in the coax and a break in it 3ft from the aerial which had been patched up a long time ago. I now have all freeview including HD from Wenvoe at 10\10 quality.

9. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Glad you're sorted. :smashin:

I believe the reason so many Welsh viewers prefer Mendip to Wenvoe is political rather than technical.

I'll say no more... :)