1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview in a non digital area

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Delta07, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Delta07

Delta07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My brother and family have recently moved in with us from Stoke where they previously had Freeview. We don't live in a Digital area (about 14 miles from one) but we tried out his Freeview box anyway.

As expected it did not detect any channels, but after this we looked at each channel configuration manually. There was a bar on each one that was named something (I cant recall) that led me to think it was a signal strength, and though most channels where at a yellow state (around 40%) a few where at a green state around 75%.

Now as far as my thinking goes digitals digital and I would have expected most channels to be identical if a signal was even present, but then again I have never used a digital system before. If this bar was in fact an indication of signal strength then is there some tweaks we could try to boost these levels?

Being someone who was used to 24 hour news on every hour of the day I don't know how long he'll last without it. :laugh:

2. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi

I too live outside the official area for freeview, but manage perfectly ok with a bigger aerial and a masthead amp.

These things have come down in price and up in quality... many earlier amps were way too noisy for digital receiption.

If you do buy a new aerial, check the channel frequencies that are in your area, as if you can get away with a grouped aerial it gives more gain than a wideband.

Dont give up until you have done some research - phone a few aerial installers and ask if they have had any luck in your area. If they are worth thier salt they will already have done several and will tell you what you need to get working.

D

3. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    ..meant to add.... I am south of Edinburgh, and can recieve digital from Aberdeen (Durris) no problems - some 120 miles away.

D
    (not that I am suggesting all transmitters are the same power of course....)

4. Delta07

Delta07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to add, I'm in a 3 year old house, so the airel we have is pretty new.

In general how far will a digital transmitter transmit?

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You can get digital in most non digital areas - eg where I live - Ondigital said yes FV said no

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    How far? There is no answer to this. It depends on the line of sight. Further, if you are high up (and so is the transmitter); less far if you are down in a valley.

New aerial? Can often be irrelevant if it isn't of the right type.

Visit www.dtg.org.uk (retailer/installer section) and find which transmitter(s) near you offer freeview, and then choose (by your own knowledge) one which is in a good line of sight position to where you are. Check the aerial type required on the website. If it is WH or WV then it's highly unlikely you already have one.

Consult a local aerial installer.

(For info: W means wideband; other letters - A, B, C/D are the three regular types and H or V means horizontal or vertical i.e. the positioning of the elements).