1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview: Hitachi Hell

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by THEMike, Dec 27, 2004.

1. THEMike

THEMike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've had sky for ages. We cancelled it as we never watch it. We grew annoyed by the 300 pages of channels we can't watch, and the lack of ITV2, so we got a freeview box for christmas.

It's a Hitachi HDB60 from Argos.

THe first one was broken and wouldn't turn on. I fought through hell at meadowhall to get it exchanged today. The second box initaly wouldn't turn on, now seems to be working ok, but has reception issues

Now, I checked my reception, my post code is S20 4SP, I should be OK apparantly for the Emley Moor receiver, my inlaws are not far from us and get the exact same results from wolfbane and have 0 problems.

Now, questions:

1) Is a new aerial likely to help? The "Labgear 52 Element High Gain TV Aerial." was linked somewhere as an option. How tricky to install in a loft would it be? How much would it cost to get someone to fit an aerial?
    2) Is a signal booster for digital tv likely to help?
    3) Is the box the issue?

What else can I try?

Having pulled out the sky box and re-wired (well changed what was plugged into what) all my aerial cables and stuff twice now and STILL having unwatchable digital tv I'm pretty naffed off.

Cheers.

2. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    search this forum for problems like yours it has been answered many times. but basically if the signals are transmitted at a different frequency than those your aerial will pick up then you will need a new aerial. it is all about the colour of the tab on the end of the current aerial and the transmitter you are pointing at.

3. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Make sure that your aerial/cable setup is correct first.

Emley Moor uses the same group aerial for both analogue and digital reception B/H. However, if the aerial has been has been up for some time, it may be worth updating it with a new CAI DTT approved aerial such as the Televes DAT45 + integral masthead amp (MRD) from http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=AP01096&N=401 along with the aerial cable. There is no problem with loft fitting, with the exception of attenuated signal strength.

The second thought is that while DTT will happily work with lower power signals than analogue, aerial positioning can be highly sensitive with respect to signal quality. A professional installer will use a special signal strength/quality meter but it is quite possible to do it as a two person job by moving the aerial and checking the signal quality display on the tv screen. :)

4. THEMike

THEMike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, that's really useful.

Checking the measurements, I don't think I could have one of them in the loft. We've got a pretty small loft. Hmmm.

Checking around the best guess I can get is £100 for a digital aerial and installation, does that sound right? Not too steep, but I think it's looking like a cut your loses situation.

5. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds about right. mine was about that with an extension pole to clear the neighbours house.

are you getting absolutley no channels with your current aerial?

emerley moor transmits analogue on 44, 51, 47, 41, BH 870kW SE222128 104.00 NTL 567 North YTV

so if i am right you have an aerial in the range 41 to 51 ish.

i reckon you will only get mux a maybe mux b at a push with that aerial which are channels

channel 5, QVC, bidup tv, bbc radio 2, 3 and 4 plus some others.
    if mux b as well then you will get bbc tv 4 and other bbc community type channels

6. THEMike

THEMike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We get the channels. All of them I believe. But the most important ones, BBC 1/2/3, the ones we actualy watch keep going "blocky", pausing or the sound cuts out. Not really watchable. Hit the i key and see the signal strength bounce all over the place, well I say all over, all over the bottom 25% of the bar.

I turned the signal booster off and it gave us a "No Signal" reading on the freeview box, and the analogue channels were unwatchable. I've been out and looked at the aerial(s). We have two pointing the same way, which I think is roughly the right direction for the mast. Then each of the aerials has a cable splitter in the loft sending a signal to two different rooms. I didn't notice the colour of the tab on the aerials (and am not sure which bit I should be looking at!) I think they are the originals from when the house was built 10 years ago. ish.

People on our hill have aerials pointing in seemingly random directions, some houses have some bad-ass looking monsters, most are pretty regular. None seem to have extra extension poles.

Why is nothing ever simple ;-) All I want to do is veg out in front of lousey christmas tv...

7. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    MAKE SURE YOU USE GOOD QUALITY DOUBLE SHIELDED CABLE :lease: , speaking from experience, no point having a top notch aerial, with crap coax. CT100 available from Maplin is a must, DO NOT buy the Satellite cable from B&Q it is not the same cable. They do sell 50m roll of PF100 fo £18.98 that is what you need. Apologies for the shouting, but as the old saying goes, no point putting a mini engine in a Rolls Royce :D

8. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe its the cabling or the box then. carnt the inloaws lend you their box to check?

did you pay £60 for the box? dont want to sound horrible but the sony vtx800 is 79 from amazon and the best box around. might even sort out the picture problems alone. try your inlaws first.

or maybe someone else might some ideas. sorry!!

9. THEMike

THEMike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, the plan is to try the inlaws box next.

My mum bought the box for us for christmas, I didn't really get any say in the matter, it just turned up. I said we wanted one, we got one. She knows nothing about technical things, just bought a mid-range one from argos I expect. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive...

10. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Or an Echostar T-101 from Woolworths £39.99, works in poor signal areas.

11. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    If the aerial has been up for 10 years and is the original, it's probably due for replacement by now. Both the aerial and the connections deteriorate over time, and it's unlikely that the original is particularily suitable for dtt reception or pointing in precisely the right direction. You cannot tell by looking at the aerial if the direction is correct. Try another box, it's easy to eliminate that, but I think that the problem is the aerial. I would echo the comment about good quality cable between the aerial and the tv (in a single run without all the splitters).

12. THEMike

THEMike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, but a "single run of cable" would mean re-plastering the lounge. The cables in the roof then run through the walls to wall sockets. Nice and tidy, but expensive to replace!

13. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well if santa got you the box tell him he needs to get a decorator in as well :)

he carnt leave a job half done

14. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I meant that the signal should not be split off to feed another tv anywhere between the aerial and the main tv, this can reduce the amplitude and upset the impedance matching. Inline connections are fine as long as they are in good condition.

15. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Not a good idea to have more than one aerial with Freeview. I used to have this arrangement, but some of the muxes were on the same channels on both aerials and were cancelling each other out. You don't need more than one aerial for Freeview.

16. THEMike

THEMike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Box worked fine at the in-laws house. Didn't try their box here as it's all "Cable Tidied" up like some maximum security prison.

We have two aerials, but each provides signal to two rooms, they aren't combined to one signal.

Looks like it is a new aerial job, that'll have to wait tho. Skint. Bah.