freeview help

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by nuker, Sep 16, 2004.

1. nuker

nuker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: thinking of trying one of those indoor aerials in bedroom to see if i can get freeview, live in coventry says signal is ok. anyone got any ideas how successful it would be.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Have you tried the postcode checker on the Freeview website?

If you get good coverage then a wideband indoor aerial may work but impossible to say because it may depend upon exactly where in your home the TV is:)

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,770
    Propagation of radio waves, especially through solid objects (like walls) is highly unpredictable.

In-room aerials suffer from two things - the walls of the premises it is in, and the walls of other buildings in the signal path. Typically a rooftop aerial will have a clear "view" over nearby buildings towards the transmitter.

A good few years ago, I was billeted in a house in Thorne, South Yorks. By a huge margin, the nearest transmitter is Belmont in Lincs. However, I could only get a clean signal from all (4 at the time) channels by using the much more distant Bilsdale transmitter - nominally far too distant for satisfactory use, expecially with an indoor aerial. Just illustrating how unpredictable reception can be, from indoors.

You can but try it.