• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Freeview Help - Sony Bravia KDL-50W805C

Dear All,

I have connected my ariel to my new TV and did a scan it find 98 services. Most freeview channels are on but channel 1 and 2 says (No service available) or something of this nature.

BBC1 and BBC2 are not in the channel list it starts from number 3 (ITV), later down the list on channel number 101 and 102 there is BBC 1 HD and BBC 2 HD.

I want channel number 1 to be BBC1 and Channel number 2 to be BBC 2 but it doesn't seem to be picked up in the scan.

I have a strong signal so unsure as to why this is. I have done a factory reset, enabled and disabled youview but still the same. Also some other freeview channels like Dave etc also not available..

Any help and advice would be highly appreciated!

PS: I hope you all had a lovely x mas and thank you in advance for all your help :)

TJT1

Distinguished Member
You are missing some multiplexes. There should be at least 140 odd channels on a good scan. Presumably you have tried more than once? How many channels did you get on your old TV?

You are missing some multiplexes. There should be at least 140 odd channels on a good scan. Presumably you have tried more than once? How many channels did you get on your old TV?

I used to get around 138 I think. what do you mean missing multiplexes? how can I sort this out? Thank you.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Location: where are you? What transmitter? Get reception predictions for your home (tick 'detailed view' on Digital UK - Coverage checker )

Multiplex of channels: digital TV works by transmitting a number of TV stations - aka TV channels - in one digital stream on a UHF frequency 8MHz wide which the TV then decodes.

The BBC standard definition (SD) ones are on one muliplex/UHF frequency, ITV+C4+C5 in SD are on another, BBC1,2,ITV &C4 in HD are on a third and then there are others carrying channels like Dave..

Check over the aerial cables and connections with a fine toothed comb... You may have disturbed / damaged one of the connections when installing the TV... especially if there are other devices (PVRs / DVD-Rs) in the aerial chain.

Also remove any hdmi connections (both from TV and the connected device) in case there is some cross-interference occurring between the hdmi cable and aerial cable. If a rescan gets all channels but they break up/ disappear when the hdmi connections are remade try different aerial fly-leads and/or hdmi leads (keeping the two types as far apart as practically possible).

It may be that the Sony TV's tuner is 'deafer' to the UHF signals than your old TV? If so it points to an inadequate aerial or a difficult reception location and you may need to improve things to get the Sony to work.

Guys thank you so much.. I have sorted the problem out.. It turned out to be the connection on the TV end, I re did it and all ok now found 169 channels.. Thank you all :)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom