Freeview HD -> Yamaha RXV675.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by IrritatedBadger, Feb 6, 2014.

1. IrritatedBadger

IrritatedBadger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,056
    Hi there,

I have just recently taken delivery of a Yamaha RXV675 and Q Acoustics Q2000i speakers (loving by the way thanks Dante01).

I am trying to get the sound from the Freeview HD integrated in the TV to play through my receiver and I'm not having much luck.

My TV is a Panasonic ST30.
    Plugged HDMI into HDMI 2 INPUT (ARC) on TV.
    Plugged the other end into receiver HDMI OUT like the manual suggested.

I don't have a TOSLINK cable, is this what I need because I'm still not getting a picture and a little confused.

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,055
    You need to first select the Digital freeview tuner via the TV's remote if wanting to use the freeview tuner. You also need to turn on HDMI Control and ARC on from within both the receiver's and the TV's settings. Panasonic call HDMI Control Viera Link.

Power cycle both the TV and receiver after doing all of the above in order to reset HDMI handskaking. Once done, the receiver should switch to its AV4 (TV) input whenever you press the freeview option on your TV's remote. AV4 (TV) is the input that will be associated with the audio coming from the TV via ARC.

3. IrritatedBadger

IrritatedBadger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,056
    On my TV, HDMI Content Detection is on Auto and AV1 Out is set to TV.
    Viera Link is also on.
    HDMI Control is also switched ON in the receiver.
    ARC is also switched on in the receiver.

Do I need a HDMI 1.4 cable?
    Do I click the Viera Link button on my remote? It says Feature Not available when I try.
    When I press TV, the input doesn't change on my receiver at all. No sound except from TV speakers.

Is it right that HDMI 2 IN (ARC) is plugged into HDMI OUT on the receiver?

EDIT: Quick Update.

I plugged in a 10M 1.4 HDMI and it's playing out of the speaker but it's cutting out every single second and the speaker indicators on the front of the receiver are flashing on and off. Dodgy cable maybe? It's been working fine to play 50GB blurays from my computer using Plex.

I'm going to buy a high speed one off Amazon and see if that improves it.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,055
    You must switch from the HDMI AV input on your TV to the Freeview tuner in order to view Freeview content accessed via your TV's integral Freeview Tuner. The AV receiver has no ability to select the tuner for you or via the receiver's remote. You appear to be sat there with your TV set to its HDMI input which will only result in sources connected to the AV receiver being passed on through to your TV.

No, you do not need an HDMI version 1.4 cable. There's actually no such thing as a version 1.4 cable and any cable should work in conjunction with a HDMI version 1.4 interface. The version numbers only relate to the hardware and interface and not the cables. ARC should work via existing HDMI cables, but the 10m cable you are using may be too long and this is more than likely the reason for the dropouts.

I'd suggest you following the ARC setup instructions within both the receiver's and your TV's manuals.

5. IrritatedBadger

IrritatedBadger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,056
    I did exactly what you said. Turned on TV, turned on receiver, click the TV tuner on my TV remote and it didn't auto switch to AV4 on the receiver with a 2M cable. I tried with the 10M one and it worked with choppy audio.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,055
    It still appears to be an issue with the cable then.

7. IrritatedBadger

IrritatedBadger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,056
  8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,055
    It is usually the cables will silly names and over the top construction that cause the issues. You could have simply bought this and been relatively reasssured that it will work:

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 9.8 Feet: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

You should also be cautious of manufacturers that label HDMI cables version 1.4 or any other version for that matter. There's no such thing as a version 1.4 HDMI cable and the version numbers only refer to the hardware and interfaces employed onboard the HDMI equipped devices. Big chunky plugs are also a no no and cause unnecessary strain on inputs.

9. IrritatedBadger

IrritatedBadger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,056
    Noted. Cable I bought works perfectly, problem solved.