Freeview HD - weird sound problems on TV with splitter

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Mussburger, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Mussburger

Mussburger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since the digital change over last summer, there have been sound problems on the HD channels only on Freeview HD but only on the 'second' TV (although it is actually our main TV!).

Briefly(ish): We have a 32" Samsung in the room where the aerial comes in. A splitter then supplies the signal to a 40" Sony in the room next door, which is our main TV. On all four HD channels the sound cuts out for a second or less every so often and it is annoying enough to make one revert back to standard def. There isn't a pattern to the sound dips, however.... (here's the weird bit): watching match of the day and live football on ITV the sound is glitch-free during all the action and studio chat, but as soon as a little 'montage' comes on, or when the prog finishes, the sound problem immediately returns. The TV isn't plugged into an adaptor or extension. The Samsung works fine, so itmust be something to do with the splitter, but any ideas what to do to solve it? Thanks

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,048
    This problem will not have anything to do with the splitter.
    It will be an issue of the reception software on the TV.

You should contact Sony customer services to see if there is a software update available to solve this problem.

Contact points are here.

3. Mussburger

Mussburger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll try that.
    So if that is the cause of the problem, presumabley if I swapped the TVs round, the problem would still be there even if the Sony had the aerial coming straight in?

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,048
    I think probably so - but you can prove it one way or the other by swapping...

But one second sound drop outs are very consistent with known software issues and are not characteristic of reception problems.

5. Mussburger

Mussburger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again, I'll get onto Sony. Is the update someting they do remotely or is it done 'at home'.
    Your diagnosis now sounds most likely given the way the sound was always unaffected during certain types of broadcast (eg: football matches)
    Update: Just been on Sony website and see an update for my model came out in October last year (we went digital here in September). Copy the update onto a memory stick from the website, bung it in the telly and hopefully....

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,048
    Good luck.