Freeview HD tv - which wire do I use to connect?

supergeek

I have a wire coming from the rooptop aerial which plugs into a two way socket (beause there's two tv's that use the aerial). Currently only 1 tv is connecting so there's one space empty on the socket - I have been told I need a 'coax' wire to connect that socket to my new freeview HD tv. (i.e a wire plugs from that socket into the aerial port on the back of my tv)

but which wire is it that I use? There appears to be lots of different coax wires with different 'ohms', could somebody please provide a link or information about the appropriate one? Preferbly with the plugs already on the wire

thanks

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
All TV coax is 75ohm the only difference is in the quality of the cable with the highest quality being required for satellite connections but this is also best for DTT (WF100 or PF100). Most terrestrial TV's have old fashioned Belling Lee connectors with high quality kit using the screw on satellite type connections (F connectors). These are very easy to fit and you can buy f to belling lee converters.

How to fit F Connectors to coaxial cable

Best and cheapest way is to make up your own leads using good quality coax, fit f connectors and male/female Bellling Lee converters as needed.

Normally you would simply loop the aerial through the HD box and on to any other kit so you don't need two outputs.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I have a very busy week ahead and don't even have the tools to fit the plugs, I know it'll probably be more expensive but it'll be more convenient for me if I just buy the wire with the plus already on.

Will this work?

20m Black Coax Cable/Flylead F Plugs Fitted Sky NTL TV on eBay (end time 06-Jul-10 12:25:16 BST)

thanks

That should be fine but don't forget you need the adaptors. These will be two male ones for a standard connection from a wall plate to aerial in. For the out you normally need a female to male lead.

raydawson

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I have a very busy week ahead and don't even have the tools to fit the plugs, I know it'll probably be more expensive but it'll be more convenient for me if I just buy the wire with the plus already on.

Will this work?

20m Black Coax Cable/Flylead F Plugs Fitted Sky NTL TV on eBay (end time 06-Jul-10 12:25:16 BST)

thanks

That is a 20m long cable with F connectors at each end.

How long a cable you need depends on where your 2 way socket is. If it's a socket plate near the TV, just get a Belling/Belling fly lead from B&Q or Homebase. You will need a male to plug into the TV and whatever you need to plug into the 2 way socket. Usually a male-male lead.

If the 2 way socket is a long way away then, as Graham said above, buy the cable you referred to and use adaptors on the ends to suit the TV and remote socket. If it's a proper 2 way splitter the chances are it will have an F connector anyway. The TV will always need a male Belling type connector.

Cheers,

Ray D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom