Freeview HD reception.

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by JIT, Feb 21, 2013.

1. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Is there anyway i can test to find out if i can receive Freeview HD or not?

Dont want buy a box to find out i need an aerial upgrade too.

2. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    See if you can borrow a box from a retailer
    Alternatively, buy one from Argos or Amazon, open very carefully, preserving all packaging so that it can be packed and returned as not suitable/will not work properly. Both are usually very understandable provided care is taken to preserve the as new quality of the item

3. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    If you can receive SD Freeview OK with the aerial then you should get the HD mux OK!
    Argos typically exclude such products from their 'no questions asked' returns policy.
    Borrowing a box from a friend or neighbour to check reception would be worthwhile.

4. lbear

lbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    An aerial upgrade is very unlikely to be needed if you can get SD Freeview. The system used, DVB-T2, I find is more robust than DVB-T, used by the SD services and most transmitter sites are broadcasting all the PSB muxes on the same power.

Much of course will depend on the sensitivity of the box - if you just want an HD tuner that will access BBC iPlayer, look out for the refurbished Technika STBHDIS2010 from the Tesco Outlet on eBay. They often release a batch between 9 and 10 am on Mondays and are under £30 including p&p.

One advantage of buying on line is that you are covered by the Distance Selling Regulations which entitles you to return the item for a full refund within 7 days for any reason (Argos's terms and conditions are illegal under this and they cannot refuse a refund for mail order items however they are one of the most expensive high street retailers - if you want anything other than a simple tuner + iPlayer, get it from Richer Sounds.)