Freeview HD reception problems.

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by nmp, Oct 26, 2018.

1. nmp

nmp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an ariel in the loft pointing to Crystal Palace. In the five years since it was fitted, reception has been fine. In the past year, I have had intermittent problems with HD channels at times completely losing all channels on Mux PSB3. I also am unable to receive channels at all on COM7.

I had a low loss splitter, but have removed that temporarily but the problem persists. Is my ariel no longer fit for purpose or could it be something else glaring that I am missing?

As I say, this was a new ariel fitted in 2013, and worked fine until about a year ago. Now intermittent problems with typically the HD channels. SD seems fine.

Any pointers much appreciated.

thx

2. nmp

nmp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after the overwhelming advice received, I decided to get in an ariel fitter. He tested the signal and confirmed it was good. After checking everything else he concluded the problem was with tree's in a neighbouring garden that have grown in the past few years to a height that could be now intermittently be affecting the signal and advised I either move the ariel up to the Chimney outside, or fit a masthead booster. I opted for a powered masthead booster and this has resolved my problems.

Hopefully helps someone in the future.

3. nmp

nmp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, to add, I also was advised to investigate 4G Cell tower interference. I contacted https://at800.tv/ who confirmed there were active 4G cell towers in my vicinity and provided a 4G filter at no cost. I cannot be certain whether this or the amplifier resolved my issues, but the combination of the two have helped.