Freeview HD Question

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by byr0n, Jan 6, 2012.

1. byr0n

byr0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I have owned my Pansasonic TV for around 18 months now, i got it in June 2010. I went for a TV with Freeview HD built in but knew i wouldnt get the HD channels until April 2011 due to the Crystal Palace aerial not being upgraded yet.

It's now January 2012 and i still cannot get the HD channels? what am i doing wrong? i have scanned and re-scanned my tuner but im not picking them up? are the HD channel numbers 51, 52 etc...?

I live in Kent (Postcode DA12), can anyone advise me if they know what i need to do as its doing my head in :(

Thank you in advance

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    DSO at CP is April 2012.

Or is that a typo?

3. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,074
    Crystal Place was the first transmitter to use T2 for testing so the question is valid. April 2012 for the country to finish DSO.
    Byron - silly question but is the arieal pointing at Crystal Palace and not at another transmitter?

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Not so!

Still a large part of Southern England and North-East to go, plus whole of Northern Ireland!

5. byr0n

byr0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

Yes the aerial is picking up Crystal Palace as it names it when i carry out the scan on the TV

6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    Is that correct :confused: The initial test HD transmissions from CP were DVB-T (DVB-T2 didn't exist at the time).

Ignore me you were talking about the temporary HD service .

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  7. byr0n

byr0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have no idea what you guys are saying :laugh:

It says Crystal Palace was able to trasmit HD channels from April 2011, the digital switchover for majority of UK is April 2012.

My problem is im unable to get HD channels now and im on the Crystal Palace receiver. I typed my postcode (DA12) into the Freeview HD website and it says i should be receiving HD channels now.

8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    The existing transmitter is low power and temporary. At DSO it moves to full power so you should be fine. The majority of the UK has already switched. CP is the last one in the list.

9. byr0n

byr0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Oh ok, didnt know this, thanks Graham. I thought it was my TV or aerial :smashin:

10. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Again, no it isn't!

There's Dorset to Kent plus the North-east and Northern Ireland still waiting for DSO.

That's about a dozen main stations and over a hundred relays still to be converted.

Please don't keep repeating incorrect information as it will confuse others!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  11. lbear

lbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Crystal Palace was one of the first two transmitter sites in the country to broadcast Freeview HD using DVB-T2 and has done so since before the public could buy a receiver! The low power and some directionality in the signal were to avoid interfering with transmitters on the same frequency in the same region.

A number of areas were affected by this and could not receive HD although they could pick up the SD muxes from CP. Even so, the number of people in London who could receive it helped them hit their early "50% of the population" target. At stage 2 of DSO on 18 April 2012, the temporary 10 kW HD mux on UHF 31 will be replaced by a 200kW transmitter on UHF 30. This is the same power as the existing muxes so most of these HD reception problems should be solved then.

12. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,812
    Can you post your model number so that we can be sure it is a Freeview HD TV with a DVB-T2 tuner and not an 'HD ready TV' which cannot pick up HD transmissions.

13. lbear

lbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I believe that is the answer, no DVB-T2 tuner.

If my memory of the timeline is correct, Freeview HD transmissions from Crystal Palace and Winter Hill on 2 December 2009 which was the planned start of the service. Initially only BBC HD and ITV HD were broadcast. ITV HD was a "red button" type service with the same early problems of not having transmission rights that affected the the Freesat version. They also went through a variety of names for upscaled SD broadcasts uncluding totally misleading "Remastered HD"

The first consumer products hit the market in early to mid March 2010 with the range consisting of various badged versions of the Vestel T8300, the first to pass the DTG tests and the Humax HD which was available in the shops first. (I think the Humax HDR was also available prior to the "public launch" on 30 March 2010. Vhannel 4HD started tramissons in time for the public launch,

To be honest, I cannot remember seeing a TV with a DVB-T2 tuner until that autumn so this is either a very early model or it is not a FVHD set. If it is, it must have an ethernet port and a USB socket as demanded by the specs.

14. Colin London

Colin London

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The Sony 2010 HD range with DVB-T2 tuners was available in time for the March 2010 launch. I know because my old TV timed it's demise perfectly allowing me to buy a new DVB-T2 set in time for the launch :)

However a lot of people were caught out buying HDTVs in 2010, my sister being one of them. She was convinced she was buying a Freeview HD TV that would show the HD channels when switchover happened. However when switchover finally occurred in her area of Norfolk in November she couldn't work out why she didn't get them. Yes, she had bought a HD ready TV with Freeview, not a Freeview HD TV.

If only she had checked with me before buying :-(

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  15. byr0n

byr0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  16. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    CP temp HD mux is on UHF ch 31 @ 10kW erp and (almost certainly) a directional antenna - beaming NW, most likely. UHF ch31 was also used by Sandy Heath's analogue BBC1 and now its' COM4 multiplex (aka SDN) and this might cause some reception issues at times of enhanced propagation.

The digitaluk predictor suggests reception of the HD mux is possible (with a suitable group A aerial, 10 metre above the ground, outside, and pointing to Crystal Palace) at this randomly-selected DA12 postcode Postcode Checker - Trade View change the address to get a more precise one for your own.

Have you manually tuned the TV on UHF ch 31? (in DVB-T2 mode, if selectable)

As has already been said, the CP HD mux increases 20x in power and will come from an omnidirectional antenna after CP switchover completes on 18th that time things should come good for you.

The aerial is key to reception; has anything happened to it - or it's view to CP - in-between te time you could tune in the HD channels and now? (e.g. building works or tree growth; a neighbouring loft conversion or solar panels on the roof if your aerial is in the loft?)