Freeview HD Queries??

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Foster1984, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    After reading a few threads and posts on here it seems that all new TV's currently on the market are unable to recieve a HD signal over freeview. Therefore, I will need to buy a new HD reciever box to connect to the TV.

However, I was told today (buy my local richer sounds manager) that TV's with CI card slots might to able to recieve firmware upgrades that allow their built in tuners to pick up the HD channels.

Which is true? As I dont understand how the HD signal will work I dont really know what to believe.

If the TV's can't do it this way, why? I think it was a bit of a lack of foresight on behalf of the TV manufacturers/broadcasters.

Thanks in advance.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    First the inbuilt tuner will need to support DVB-T2 and then the hardware decoder will have to support mpeg4, now the latter could be done with a third party addon, infact I think they can be bought now but turning a DVB-T tuner into a DVB-T2 is probably beyond firmware or more to the point the

The HD DTT broadcasts will use DVB-T2, it's a far more efficient broadcast spec than the current DVB-T meaning more capacity from each Mux. The HD channels will be compressed with an mpeg4 codec, far more efficient than the current mpeg2, these two very recent developments is why the DTT system in the existing UK DTT system is incapable of supporting HD.
    It was impossible for TV manufacturers to support a system wasn't invented at the time nor spend money on a open and flexible tuning setup given the cut throat mass market. Manufacturers like Loewe who sell seriously premium and sometimes unique products may have something flexible enough to transition from SD mpeg2 DTT tuning/decoding to mpeg4 with a module upgrade but they are designed that way and priced accordingly.

3. scribbler101

scribbler101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    The Richer Sounds manager MIGHT be right. Will he give you full credit against the price of whatever he is selling you if he is not right?

Thought not.

To simplify starburst's reply slightly; technology for displaying HD tv is ahead of that for transmitting it; where standards are only just being agreed. It's like the VHS/Betamax era; but you want them to be ready to play MP4s.

4. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Well I have a 40" V4000, so realise that the tuner built into it won't be able to pick up the freeview HD channels when they emerge. But had hoped I would be able to use something such as a CI card to change that, as opposed to having to buy a HD set top box.

But Im presuming most people will have to do the same as me??

5. Geofbob

Geofbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Yes, I think most people who are at all interested in the matter accept that they will need a new box of some kind as & when Freeview HD is introduced. Bear in mind that anyone wantng to record programmes already needs an extra receiver/recorder of some kind (unless they're among the minority who have a TV with an inbuilt Freeview PVR).

Moreover, even if the tuner in a Freeview TV could be upgraded to HD by some means, a box with another HD tuner would still be needed to enable recording one programme while watching another. (If you can imagine that there will ever be two Freeview HD programmes worth watching on at the same time!)

6. scribbler101

scribbler101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I'm sure all Freeview will be HD within a decade.

2 decent programmes at once may take longer.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Nah, not even if the government set out about putting in place the required legislation and funding to make mpeg4 HD the default broadcast spec of the UK.
    The huge cost of replacing 20million+ SD only boxes makes the analogue switchover seem like an easy task and that has taken a decade all ready. SKY made the switch from analogue to digital in 2 years at a huge cost but even SKY can't even begin to cover the cost of SD to HD:)

The simple fact is that DTT capacity is so valuable there are few if any broadcasters that can afford the capacity for a HD channel, the upcoming BBC, ITV and CH4 offerings are off the back of their PSB agreements with the regulator. The last time CH4 bid for some part time capacity for a SD channel it cost them £10mill, increase that by a factor of 5 for HD capacity and you see the problem.

I think HD will simply be a victim of the status-quo, economics and politics will leave the UK reliant on below par SD DTT for years to come, it may by the time it's possible to change it won't matter anymore.