Freeview HD picture quality

Patbateman69

I bought a Sony 37 inch EX for my grandmother.
The freeview HD pictures are of massively varying quality, does anyone else have this issue?

For example the BBC1 and ITV HD are not much better than SD, indeed, my X2000 freeview picture is better than both.
However the second BBC HD channel picture is totally stunning and almost BD quality. I know this is down to bitrates etc but surely these other HD channels cannot be classed HD when the gulf in quality is so huge?

Last edited:

brookheather

Much of BBC1 HD and ITV1 HD is just upscaled SD which still looks much better IMO - with ITV1 HD you can tell whether it is actually HD as they only put the ITV1 HD logo on the screen when it is actual HD material.

- Simon.

Dazbobaby

Standard Member
+1 for Simon, exclusive HD programmes are things like X-Factor for ITV and Strictly come dancing for the BBC.
There are more but these are showcase HD programmes and it's shows, the quality is amazing.
Most of the other content is upscaled and does look better due to the higher bitrare of the broadcast. Eventually nearly all programmes will be made and broadcast in HD.
Remember Nicam audio? It took a long time for it to catch on, but when it did, everything was broadcast in high quality nicam stereo.

moopig

Standard Member
Much of BBC1 HD and ITV1 HD is just upscaled SD which still looks much better IMO - with ITV1 HD you can tell whether it is actually HD as they only put the ITV1 HD logo on the screen when it is actual HD material.

- Simon.

Does ITV put their channel logo over the HD picture? If so, it would seem a bit perverse to broadcast a top quality picture and then spoil it like that.

I don't have HD yet but I'm considering getting it. However, I won't watch much on TV channels with irritating, distracting and pointless logos in a corner of the screen. Ever since the words, "What's on your mind, Spock?" coincided with "BBC Three" being stamped across the Vulcan's forehead I just haven't been able to ignore them. I used to watch the occasional film on Channel5 but since they brought their on-screen logo back I haven't viewed a single one. If most HD content is going to be spoiled like that then I won't bother rushing out to get it. Are the BBC HD channels entirely graffiti-free?

moopig

tqd12

I can notice the HD quality difference even on my 22 inch LG. The pictures are much more sharper and superior to SD.

Bat-man

Moopig
Indeed. Seems rubbish to me to ruin a decent picture with a screen logo. Hardly HD over the area of the distracting logo.
We are stuck with these things as the broadcasters know better than us! (sarcastic emoticon here)

Last edited:

moopig

Standard Member
I don't understand why broadcasters still have channel logos on-screen at all times. The argument that people are too stupid to work out which channel a programme they like is broadcast on just isn't valid now that everyone has digital TV: touching just about any button on the remote will display the channel name for a second or two. Some of the time your brain will blank out the logo, but every now and again it will be brought to your attention by a pan or by it landing on someone's face and then you're rudely pulled out of the programme you're watching and back to the real world. Life's too short to waste on ruined films so I won't watch channels which have both ads and logos at all, and I watch channels which have a full-time logo very rarely.

Why do they do it? Why not just display the channel logo briefly at the start and end of programmes or ad breaks? Why spend millions of pounds on HD broadcast equipment and then transmit a deliberately spoilt picture? I just don't get it.

But I'm ranting so I'll stop now.
:)

moopig

Top Bottom