Freeview HD issues tuning

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by gdbagley, Jan 8, 2012.

1. gdbagley

gdbagley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi Everyone,

So, just got a new TV with built in Freeview HD, a Sony bravia.

Now, i've checked my postcode and I should be on the Waltham transmitter - a scan does indeed pick up some channels, and if i go to manual scan, the channel numbers suggest I'm picking up waltham.

Problem is, I can get signal on most MUX's except BBC B, under manual tune, i dont get a signal at all when i enter the channel number?

Can someone tell me why I can get a signal from other MUX on the transmitter but not this one?

Now, the cringey bit, i am using an indoor aerial - its an amplified sort and I know they're frowned upon - but i dont understand why I can see other channels/MUXs but not the BBC HD one?

Not really in a position at the moment for an outdoor aerial so any suggestions would be good.

Thanks

G

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,396
    Because it's broadcast at a lower power than the other MUX's and the signal is obviously too weak to be picked up by your indoor aerial.

3. gdbagley

gdbagley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for this, wasnt sure what the power of that MUX would be, everything looked the same from what I could see on these internets here. My main concern was that I wanted to just check the TV worked with freeview HD and there wasnt an issue with it!

I've had another play around and can now get the channels!! Bizzarely, moved the aeria to the floor behind the sofa as i was getting good signalwhen holding it in that area, then tweaked it a bit to get better qaulity, now i've got the HD ones - not fussed about the other channels, we have Sky SD.

Dancing On Ice never looked so good! Hahaha

G

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Which is precisely why indoor aerials are NOT recommended!

You'll probably find it's not working again in a couple of days or as people move about the room.

Having spent several £100's on an excellent tv, why not feed it with the signal it deserves?

5. gdbagley

gdbagley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I fully agree, but the reasons are: Currently staying with the partners mums house, bought the telly as a present so dont want to spend any more. Me and the Mrs are planning on moving in the next 12 months and this house is rented so unwilling to pay for the aerial when it's not our house! We have Sky also..

6. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    Wrong!
    PSB muxes from the Waltham post-DSO transmitters are at the same effective radiated power of 50kW. The COMs are only 25kW - 3dB lower.
    Correct. But due to attenuation and reflections inside the room which vary by frequency. The sweet spot 'max signal' for one may be the 'minimum' cancellation point for another.

Similar to loft aerials moving the room aerial higher/lower, crab left/right and nearer to/further from the transmitter while always pointing towards it can make a difference (for better or worse).

Room aerials can work in favourable locations - especially on upper floors and on the side of the house nearest the transmitters. The BBC R&D bods have published data on this.

A caravan-style external aerial fixed by 'suckers' onto a window's glass might provide more reliable reception - especially if you get it up higher than the ground floor? Mobile Wideband Aerial Kit - Caravan Lorry Boat from Aerial Shack by: is an example I found via googling.

Or fix one, temprarily, in the garden? TV Aerials for Boats and Caravans