Freeview HD in a tv, should I wait ?

PlymouthGin

Standard Member
Hi all, been on this site lots of times reading and reading, until it gets to much...so much information

I wish to purchase a new tv but have seen that freeview HD is on its way later this year, which means that the tv's out at this time are not going to be able to recieve these signals without going backwards to having to plug a box into it - just like old times....

Do I sit and wait for the new range of tv's to arrive or will they be too expensive ?
Buy a tv now & have to go buy a box later ?

Any help on this would be greatful

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I'd buy the TV now...if I was needing one.
The sets when they appear will be expensive and there won't be a lot of HD channels to begin with.

PlymouthGin

Standard Member
It does a bit of a silly that the software to decode the hd signal is not avalable to download for the tv's that are out there now, or is it that we are just moving to fast in the world of electronics that no matter what you get you will be out of date by the time you plug the tv in.

Thanks for the reply :smashin:

nehalem

Novice Member
Personally I'd hang fire as the first TV's land next month. Pricing will be comparable if not cheaper in some cases than last years models. Its a whole new type of tuner DVB-T2 rather than the old DVB-T thus just a firmware update is not capable of upgrading old sets.

Hi all, been on this site lots of times reading and reading, until it gets to much...so much information

I wish to purchase a new tv but have seen that freeview HD is on its way later this year, which means that the tv's out at this time are not going to be able to recieve these signals without going backwards to having to plug a box into it - just like old times....

Do I sit and wait for the new range of tv's to arrive or will they be too expensive ?
Buy a tv now & have to go buy a box later ?

Any help on this would be greatful
Worth bearing in mind that if you plan to record any of these HD Freeview shows then you will need a standalone PVR unit anyway - so it really depends if that is a big deal ... plus I will be a tad surprised if these new tv's with built in DVB-T2 tuners will be cheaper as some people are suggesting.;)

J2001M

Novice Member
Worth bearing in mind that if you plan to record any of these HD Freeview shows then you will need a standalone PVR unit anyway - so it really depends if that is a big deal ... plus I will be a tad surprised if these new tv's with built in DVB-T2 tuners will be cheaper as some people are suggesting.;)
all the sony tv's that will have it look like they are going to be way cheaper this year than last year models including the tv's with 3d

DLoop

all the sony tv's that will have it look like they are going to be way cheaper this year than last year models including the tv's with 3d
Where did you get this information from? Are you meaning that this years launch price will be cheaper than last year launch price, or that the launch price will be cheaper than the current price?
(does that make sense?)

Curly99

Distinguished Member
Where does this information come from, do you have a link to your source?

Jeepster

Standard Member
Argos have the New Sony TVs listed available from March.
40" is £899.99
46" is £1249.99
55" is £1499.99
These are the EX503 series,all have Freeview HD built in.Bravia engine 3 etc.
EX403 range also has Freeview HD, cheaper but lower spec.

wms

Standard Member
to: Nehalem
DVB-T was new hardware but worked with existing sets so why should DVB-T2 not work - Do you have some inside info ?
:confused:

YellowSphere

Novice Member
DVB-T was new hardware but worked with existing sets so why should DVB-T2 not work - Do you have some inside info ?
:confused:
It worked with sets that already had DVB-T hardware installed. It's not a software change that allows a set to receive DVB-T2 broadcasts, it's a hardware change.

Interceptor121

Novice Member
I am exactly in the same situation.
I got fed up with the replace viewing card message from Sky so I bought a freesat HD receiver to watch BBC/ITV
It now turns out that there will be 5 channels on Freeview HD by the end of the year and I was intending to change my old Hitachi 42PD6600 so I looked at options and found good deals for 50" with freeview HOWEVER I really do not fancy having to get yet another decoder so I am thinking of hanging on to get a new Panasonic with freeview HD especially after reading about the average performance of the Humax FOX-T2 on SD
They are in pre order on Amazon and Play.com at prices between 1050 and 1250 for a 50" inch plasma. I have not looked at LCD but I know comet has a 42" in preorder from Panasonic as well
In your case you need to check when you get the HD in your area. I am in Surrey so already covered by Crystal Palace but do not assume you will get HD freeview right away where you are
But if you need to wait a long time then you could take advantage of the clearance offer on the old ranges from Panasonic and Sony and get a HD receiver when the signal gets to you

nehalem

Novice Member
Do you have info on the five HD channels? My understanding was it was be BBC, ITV and 4 from launch with Five joining later but more than happy to be corrected. Whats the 5th one?

Timm

I'm after a 32inch lcd, so full hd won't be needed, but are you likely to be able to get one with hd freeview? I presume it would be cheaper than full 1080hd?

Interceptor121

Novice Member
I'm after a 32inch lcd, so full hd won't be needed, but are you likely to be able to get one with hd freeview? I presume it would be cheaper than full 1080hd?
The cost of an HD receiver at this time puts the price up £150 the HD Ready TV market is a late adopter one so to get a DVB-T2 tuner integrated you probably have to wait until there is mass adoption of freeview HD.
Surely once there are 4 HD in freeview this could be a possibility but I would not think that manufacturers put this feature in the low end product.
Panasonic put the HD freeview in the S series that is the first 1080p layer not in the lower X or C.
If you think about it what is the point putting an HD receiver in a TV that is actually not capable of displaying the full benefits?
Sony does the same see that the lower end HD Ready EX302 has not HD freeview tuner

ACE1987

Standard Member
Afternoon all.

Just wondered is this would be an option? http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/13593485/Panasonic-VIERA-G20-Series-42-TX-P42G20B-Full-HD-1080P-Freeview-HD-Freesat-HD-Plasma-TV/Product.html?&_$ja=tsid:11518%7Ccc:%7Cprd:13593485%7Ccat:LCD#

Has anyone seen / got any reviews on this product?

Cheers

Curly99

Distinguished Member
Has anyone seen / got any reviews on this product?

Cheers
if you want any reviews...etc can you ask in the Plasma forums as this is a general discussion about weather someone should wait for TVs with HD tuners or buy now.

hamiltone

Definitely don't buy anything now, that does not have Freeview HD. :)

If you ever decide to sell early, then nobody will be interested unless the price is very low.

It will be like trying to sell a CRT TV.....absolutely worthless. :eek:

I don't think 3D is worth buying yet. :D

3D in another 5 to 10 years maybe....but not now. :suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton