Question Freeview HD Channels Through "Second TV"

Neilsmalcolm

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Hope thus is directed at he right forum.
Recently got BT TV and an Ultra HD Youview box fir main smart TV in lounge. Had initial problem with Freeview channels in HD. Having researched I bought an attenuator to reduce signal strength? All seems very good as signal strength is 95% + and signal quality usually 100% - very happy.
Now, not necessarily related to this - we gave another aerial point in the bedroom with a second Freeview built in TV.
I'm not aware we gave ever got Freeview HD channels on this - channels 101,102 etc. aerial lead direct from aerial sickest to back if TV.
Briefly tried the attenuator and also a booster, but didn't make any difference when I retuned channels.
This is not a big issue being the second TV as not used greatly, but interested to know if there is an easy solution.
Aerial is on roof with any splitting presumably done in the loft where there are connections.
Any initial thoughts please?

Many thanks.

Does the second TV have a DVB-T2 tuner ? If it's only DVB-T it cannot work with the HD mux. PSB3 (Com 7 - COM 8 if your transmitter has these). A seperate DVB-T2 box could be connected to the second TV if it has HDMI inputs.

Does the second TV have a DVB-T2 tuner ? If it's only DVB-T it cannot work with the HD mux. PSB3 (Com 7 - COM 8 if your transmitter has these). A seperate DVB-T2 box could be connected to the second TV if it has HDMI inputs.

Thanks for the reply. My background is IT but doesn't extend to thus kind of tech really.
TV is a Toshiba 26" circa 2009/10. It has built in Freeview so aerial goes from aerial wall socket to crack if TV directly. I do have spare Freeview boxes lying around if that makes a difference.
Not certain what DVB-T2 tuner is etc.

To all intents and purposes, a DVB-T2 receiver is an HD receiver. Can the TV actually receive HDTV without a box, or is it just (or even) 'HD ready'. The model number would help.

PS. Please check your posts for typos, it would make them easier to understand. For instance.
goes from aerial wall socket to crack if TV directly

Thanks for the reply. My background is IT but doesn't extend to thus kind of tech really.
TV is a Toshiba 26" circa 2009/10. It has built in Freeview so aerial goes from aerial wall socket to crack if TV directly. I do have spare Freeview boxes lying around if that makes a difference.
Not certain what DVB-T2 tuner is etc.

When Freeview-HD launched in the UK it used a more advanced system than that used by SD. DVB-T - stands for Digital Video Broadcasting - Terrestrial and the 2 is 2nd generation. Kit that is capable of viewing Freeview-HD should have a Freeview-HD logo. DVB-T2 is backwards compatible with DVB-T so these devices can use all channels HD and SD. DVB-T2 is universal so quite a lot of TV's have HD tuners but only DVB-T tuners so they will work in countries that still use DVB-T for HD.

Freeview-HD started in 2010 so it's a lottery that your Toshiba is Freeview-HD capable, chances are it's not.

One of these should give you HD on the second TV.

Humax Hd-fox T2 Freeview Box | eBay

You would need a Freeview box that is Freeview-HD capable. Try them plugged into your main TV to see if they pick up your transmitter HD multiplex.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks guys for the responses makes sense & sorry about the typos.

Model number of TV is Toshiba 26AV615DB

Last edited:
So the solution is to put an HD box in place.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom