Freeview HD Channels keep cutting out

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by snowfield, Jul 26, 2012.

1. snowfield

snowfield
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

I recently purchased a Samsung BD-DT7800 Smart PVR. It's working well except when I watch HD channels when the picture and sound will cut out for a few seconds. I've only been watching BBC 1 HD and BBC HD so far so not sure if it does it on ITV HD and Channel 4 HD. It seems to do it at the beginning or end of programmes but it has done it at other random moments. It's quite frustrating. Standard def channels are fine. Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks

2. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    Check you are on the latest firmware version Support for BD-DT7800

It seems likely to be another device with the Freeview HD 1080i/1080p switching problem that has not been updated over the air by the manufacturer?

3. 22bad4u

22bad4u
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been experiencing similar, I thought it was a transmitter issue (Black Hill, Lanarkshire, Central Scotland) I too use the same Samsung BD-DT7800 Smart PVR - Set-top box when viewing HD Channels cuts out for a few seconds sometime long sometime's briefly.

Channels affected:

BBC 1 HD (51)
    and
    BBC HD (54) are worse
    ITV HD (52) and
    Channel 4 HD (53)

are affected but not so frequent but still happens. it worked fine up until middle of June and since then it has been very irritating. I too am at a loss as to whether this is Manufaturer or broadcasting issue. I have rescanned my box twice now once before and again after last update. Still no change.

This video show what I experience 1 min 27 Sec (condensed to 51 seconds) http://youtu.be/76gjLcHXyGc

Grateful if other's can at least let us know how extensive this is.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  4. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    Are you on the latest firmware (see post #2, above)? It is dated 18th July 2012 so very, very recent!

If it is a firmware issue, as I suspect, the ALL of that model TVs will be affected... until they are updated.

The problem is to do with the latest HD encoders used by the broadcasters and the decoders in the TV not coping because they don't quite conform to the specifications.

5. hdn51

hdn51
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having this problem too. It is very random as to when it is happening tlhoguh can work fine on a program then flick really badly on another part of it.

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Welcome to the Forum, but please confirm you have a BD-DT7800, otherwise it could be same symptom but different cause. :)

7. 22bad4u

22bad4u
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rodders53

Yes I have the latest firmware (I did mention that on 3rd paragraph, tho just said "update" not "firmware update" :( ).

Just to clarify for Samsung BD-DT7800 Smart PVR - Set-top box Current update 2012/07/07_001008 (not 18 July 2012. I reconfirmed update an no new version for my box.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  8. hdn51

hdn51
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I have the 8500 but firmware date is the same so guess same issue.

9. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    I'd suggest you all contact Samsung to report the problem and see if they can offer advice... it may be they HD coder issue regarding 1080i/1080p switching is not the cause and the firmware uodate was relating to something different? (As Samsung don't say what the changes are / publish the changelog it's impossible to tell). Although unlikely, it may be that Samsung's update has caused this issue to appear in some circumstances (that were missed in QA testing)?

Of course it could also be that all these are all coincidental issues around some form of local interference getting into the receivers? The usual checks on external aerials, cables, hdmi leads (change, keep away from aerial) etc.,. would then apply.

10. snowfield

snowfield
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I updated the firmware but unfortunately the problem persisted. I think Rodders53 is right though, it seems to be a problem with a Freeview HD 1080i switching problem as every time the screen goes blank and come back a small box appears in the top left of the TV screen. It keeps flicking between 1080 and 1080i when it pops up. I don't really know what this means though!!

However, I think I've found a solution. Go into Settings > Display > DTV Smart Resolution and turn it off. I did this a couple of hours before the Olympics Opening ceremony. I've been watching a lot of HD Olympics ever since and the problem has not reoccurred!

11. snowfield

snowfield
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Out of interested, I just switched the DTV Smart Resolution back on and the problem came back straight away!

12. 22bad4u

22bad4u
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Snowfield, many thanks for the workaround I have implemented it and will monitor it over next few hour's. Thanks all for feedback hopefully it works for me too.:clap::thumbsup:

13. 22bad4u

22bad4u
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been running HD since trying out the work-around and it has worked for me too. Like snowfield as soon as I changed the setting to Auto it restarted stuttering. So for the time being I am happy to leave it on that setting. Thanks :D:D:D

14. Gal girl

Gal girl
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We purchased a Samsung BD-8500M late last year and have had the usual problems quoted by other users looking through the web. However, we have had the same problem with HD channels cutting out, not reported elsewhere:confused: and I am glad I found this forum!!!:laugh: We were very disappointed when we recorded the Dr Who Christmas special and watched it over christmas without problems, but put it on again today for our son to watch and found that it also kept cutting out!:nono: The problem with the HD channels started June/July and I lost the thread of the last few programmes fo The Killing due to the ongoing issues.

I have now turned the DTV resolution off this morning and now the Dr Who plays perfectly and I am watching BBC1 HD without issues. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the workaround!!!

This must have been a software update - was the DTV setting set to auto previously or did a software update turn it on??!!??!!:thumbsup:

15. DevonMike

DevonMike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I recently bought a Samsung ps51e550d1k 51"Plasma TV and i've noticed sound dropping out on only the HD channels,i have my set connected to my cinema system via an Optical cable for sound,it is quite irritating to be honest.

16. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    The same answer as given to others applies to you:
    1. Check for latest firmware for your set on Samsung's support site
    2. Call and discuss problem with a) your retailer/supplier and/or b) Samsung
    3. If this fault can't be fixed easily by some TV setting or firmware upgrade you may need to reject the TV under the Sale of Goods Act -- your contract is with the retailer who you purchased from.

17. DevonMike

DevonMike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Have phoned Samsung as it's really bugging me,they're sending out an engineer in a few days and the guy who took my call seemed adamant that it will be fixed upon the visit which leads me to believe it's a common fault,incidently i've since noticed the fault on some non-HD broadcasts now.:rolleyes:

18. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    In which case it's not the HD 1080i/1080p switching issue and a straight-forward 'fault' with the set's sound circuits. I'm sure the technician who visits will fix it.

19. DevonMike

DevonMike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Sets gone off for repair, although im surprised that Comet no longer has their own dedicated repair company,apprantly there's a fault with the digital input where the optical cable goes in.The loan tv (20") looks so tiny in comparison.:(

20. Dr Niceguy

Dr Niceguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I bought a Samsung smart pvr yesterday, the STB-E7500M and have had exactly the same issues on HD channels, it's on the latest firmware so I thought it was faulty so just did a search and found this thread.
    I turned off the DTV smart resolution from Auto to Off and it's stopped doing it (well it hasn't done in in the last hour) so that seems to be the cure for this fault but I hope it's something that Samsung fix with the next firmware update.