• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Freeview HD box with component out?

Pabs1980

Standard Member
I have a projector which insists upon stretching any HDMI signal to 4:3 and does not have the option to change it to 16:9 (great i know, but thats another story)

Other inputs, (composite, component) do have the ability to change aspect ratio to 16:9.

I get around this by using my iMac to play Blurays from the HDD with a media centre program called Plex, with which i can change the aspect ratio and save the setting. This means i can watch movies via HDMI (Plex is a fantastic media centre for those with Macs btw.) The projector is receiving an image which is more like 16:7, but displays it as 16:9.

Anyway, obviously i don't want to watch HDTV in 4:3, so it would seem that the only option is to either get a converter such as the HDfury, or find a Freeview HD box with component out. HDMI is not an option, as without a program like Plex to 'fix' the image before it is sent to the projector, i will be stuck with a stretched 4:3.

Given my problem, can anyone else think of a better solution? Or just advise me of a box with component?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help.

Paul.

nwhitfield

Prominent Member
As far as I can recall, from one of the spec documents, component output is specifically not allowed on boxes that have Freeview HD certification.

Chris1712

Established Member
As far as I can recall, from one of the spec documents, component output is specifically not allowed on boxes that have Freeview HD certification.

Could be an issue with HDCP, I think the HD channels utilise it.

nwhitfield

Prominent Member
Just dug out the docs; DTG receiver recommendations 1.7, which are based on the D Book specs for the UK:

"Receivers SHALL NOT provide any functional analogue HD component outputs."

MarkE19

HDMI Male To 5RCA Component Video Audio Cable Converter on eBay (end time 16-Jun-10 07:47:28 BST)

Would this work from a Freeview HD box (HDMI) to the projector (Component)? This is only about £3 where the HDfury is £100+
There is a very good reason why the cable is £3 and the HDFury ~£100 - there is absolutely no hope in hell of the cheap cable ever working, it is physically impossible! HDMI is a digital only connection and the Component on 3 phono's is an analogue only connection. You must have hardware conversion to convert from digital to analogue. These cables are a complete rip off designed to only part the non techie folk on eBay from their cash.

Mark.

Gavtech

Administrator
There is a very good reason why the cable is £3 and the HDFury ~£100 - there is absolutely no hope in hell of the cheap cable ever working, it is physically impossible! HDMI is a digital only connection and the Component on 3 phono's is an analogue only connection. You must have hardware conversion to convert from digital to analogue. These cables are a complete rip off designed to only part the non techie folk on eBay from their cash.

Mark.

I like the 'Get out of jail free' notes at the end of the Features list. :D

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Having just bought a Fury2 so that I can use my upscaling DVD player with my old Sony plasma that only has component inputs, I can confirm that the Fury2 works as billed. Via my panel I can now get a 1080i/50 picture from the DVD player - no HDCP issues at all!

Clem

Pabs1980

Standard Member
Thanks for all your help, i had a feeling the eBay cable was a non starter, but thought it best to ask.

Looks like its the HDFury for me then.

Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Paul.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Before you spend the money consider thst a free to air HD satellite box combined with a dish will give you full HD from component for BBC-HD, ITV1-HD and Luxe-HD plus more if you have a motorised dish. No HD-Fury required and you can likely get the lot for less than the price of the HD-Fury

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom